What things need to be changed before starting a game? eg. competition names

Here's some of the things that I have needed to change in previous versions of the game, but are there any others that need editing in FM09?

Champions Cup -> Champions League

Euro Cup -> UEFA Cup

EURO Vase -> Intertoto Cup

PSG

Jens Musterman -> Oliver Kahn or is Oliver Kahn even in the game any more?!

Are there any other things that need to be changed, and how? Am I correct in thinking that the Korean national teams dont have the correct players, for example?

Go with what Gav said.

As for me I play with England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Turkey and the USA. So before I play the game I spend at least one week fixing the names for leagues, awards, etc/etc.

Kahn is still in game but he's a coach now. I dunno if he's still called Jens Musterman because I removed the .Inc files before starting a game.

As far as renaming is concerned, names of competitions, players, clubs, nations, stadiums, cities and awards don't need to be done before a game is started, as you can change them with lnc files without needing to start a new game.

In fact, with the exception of player names, you can even change them in the edited database without starting a new game, as long as you started the game with an edited database of course.

The above is especially useful to know for FM09 as, to be realistic, the "EURO Cup" (UEFA Cup) could be renamed to the Europa League once the 2009–10 season begins.

There are other realistic changes that can be made without any adverse effects, such as changing the nation of exiled clubs (Vaduz, Toronto, Cardiff, etc.) so that the correct flag appears just below their name on the title bar and on the club information screen. These must be made on the database before starting a save game, as changing them afterwards has no effect on the save game, unlike competition names, etc. (Note that this doesn't work perfectly with AS Monaco. If you change their nation to Monaco without changing anything else about Monaco, then trying to view the club causes the game to crash)

Archived