What would you do with this player?

Meet Félix

I scooped Félix up on a free transfer, figuring I'll just find a way to squeeze his skill set into my squad. Well, now I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do that is. I typically play this 4231, high tempo, high pressing, direct passing. Against very tough opposition (almost always away unless it's PSG), I play this 4141 with very standard counter-attacking ideas.

What would you do with Félix? There are a lot of intriguing options here, because of the combination of size, strength, pace, and mental qualities, coupled with a little bit of technical skill. I just can't quite decide what I should do.

(Maybe some time down the road, I'll write a little bit on this save. It has been an interesting one...)

Tricky because he doesn't have the dribbling, crossing and finishing needed to play a wide attacking role and doesn't have great marking and tackling either. Having said that, because of that glorious jumping reach I'd play him as a defensive/holding midfielder and untrain the gets forward whenever possible PPM. Good team work, physicals and decisions so he can patrol the middle, pressing their midfield before giving the ball to the more creative players.

I'd use him a little like SAF used Park Ji-Sung. I could see him playing in the AMC role as a Suffuco against a Pirlo type player i.e. a DM playing in that AM slot. He'd eat Verratti for breakfast.

I like the AMC idea - the only thing keeping me from developing him as a midfield destroyer is the low bravery and aggression. He might be a little reluctant to get himself in there.

Yeh the Bravery and Aggression are his Achilles Heels. He may not want to get himself overly involved in a midfield battle.

If you could work on his Passing and Vision, he could have the makings of a Regista.

But I'm going to be "that guy" now (sorry ;)) - why buy someone if you don't know how they're going to fit into your system? (Or how you're going to change your system to accommodate them).

He fits well enough right away in both MC positions as a rotation option, and I needed some squad depth at those spots anyway, so he is getting games right now. He was on a free transfer, only 20 years old, and with a still relatively small club I thought it was worthwhile to nab the talent where available, and fine tune the long-term fit over the next couple of years.

I'm just looking for some ideas on how to guide his long-term development.

Ah, hadn't seen those were that low! Although the aggression isn't necessarily a bad thing, the lack of bravery would definitely hold him back. It's not necessarily about getting 'stuck in' as it is about being disciplined...although his lack of concentration would hurt that too...hmmm

I reckon you'll get decent performances out of him from many positions though - he's a physical beast who has great teamwork and makes the right decisions.

Archived