Match highest earner clause

Hi guys,

Possible stupid question here,

I am in my third season with Spurs, doing well, regularly competing for the PL title, and CL, I brought Gareth Bale back to the club in the January window and part of his contract was the 'match highest earner clause', no problem there, but I have just matched Pogbas release clause of £75M - Bargain, but he demands the 'match highest earner clause' in his contract, but I am not allowed to offer it, preventing me from offering him a contract.

Is this because you are only allowed one player at the club to have the match highest earner clause?

Are you offering Pogba less wages than Bale? Might be an issue because he would instantly get a wage rise upon signing to match Bale

Hmm good point, I didn't check this, but I was offering him the maximum wages I could, but thinking about it Bale could be on more

careful how many of those you give out. Lets say Messi for some reason wanted to join you... You would be screwed if you signed him. Not saying he ever would but never know what player might become available down the road and then you could have severe issues financially. I use to give that out all the time till i got stung by it. Now i make sure its not in any contract

Archived