Need help with a player promise

Hello everyone!

I am managing Portsmouth and we are currently in the Championship in 2017-2018. Jed Wallace is an absolute beast, and while we were in league 1 around the month of April (we were promoted very shortly after this), he told me we had to get promoted, cause he couldn't stay at Portsmouth cause we were not in the Championship. Fair enough, so I have two options to tell him:

1. "Give me a year, and we will be promoted"

2. "I can't guarantee promotion, but we can get to the playoffs and go from there"

Not direct quotes, but close enough. I picked the first one, because I knew we would be in the Championship the following year. So, we are promoted, and it's August in the Championship. Apparently this promise is still not fulfilled, and I have around 300 days until it's over. He spoke to the assistant manager, and he says that Jed Wallace is still pissed we aren't promoted, and he will have to take further action.

What the hell, we were promoted, does he expect us to be in the EPL? What's even better is that his contract is up in 2018, so he's probably gone.

What is going on? Any help please?

Archived