"Struggled to stay onside when going forward"

I am playing a save with Hednesford Town in the Conference North, and I am a little bit into the second season. Lost the playoff final 5-4 on penalties last season (:mad:), but so far this season I haven't lost in the 17 games (including cup ties) that I've played. So this definitely isn't a rage post.

At the start of the season I was getting really convincing wins, 2-0, 4-0, etc. But in my last 5 games, the cumulative score is 4-1 (3 wins, 2 draws). We are still dominating possession, but we aren't having as many shots as before. Even my supporters are getting irritated that even though we are getting results it's boring football. Every single time I check my emails afterwards, in this example after a 1-0 win, it says...

"Hednesford had the better possession but struggled to stay onside when going forward, resulting in broken sequences of play".

So, I'm wondering what this is caused by and how to remedy it.

Is it just random errors my players are making that will pass over time?

Is it a tactical issue? (Image won't embed, but my tactic is here- i.imgur.com/hePRJIm.jpg ) (Control, Fluid, Shorter passing, work ball into box, play wider, Prevent short gk distribution, higher tempo)

Is it an issue with my strikers very low positioning attribute, 3 and 4 respectively, if positioning is relevant to attacking? Although they have 10 and 12 "Off the ball".

Thanks for any help.

Probably the fact your players have low decisions attributes. Consistently beating the offside in the lower leagues is tricky, and really the only way to emulate that style of play is to have players who can outrun defenders (aka 15+ pace & acceleration). Positioning may have an effect but I'd say decisions is the main attributes for beating the offside trap. It's the attributes that works out if a player knows when they should run into space and when they will be caught offside.

Probably the fact your players have low decisions attributes. Consistently beating the offside in the lower leagues is tricky, and really the only way to emulate that style of play is to have players who can outrun defenders (aka 15+ pace & acceleration). Positioning may have an effect but I'd say decisions is the main attributes for beating the offside trap. It's the attributes that works out if a player knows when they should run into space and when they will be caught offside.

Thanks mate :thup:

It's getting to the point now where teams will know how to play the offside trap against your guys effectively as well. They'll have adapted to your tactics in the first half of the season and their own tactics would be considered fluid enough to properly work on your weaknesses beforehand. So a combination of better organised game plans by the ai and players who struggle with decision making. Not much you can do other than get better players or tweak your tactic a little. Maybe have a look at the role the most prolific offsider is.

It's getting to the point now where teams will know how to play the offside trap against your guys effectively as well. They'll have adapted to your tactics in the first half of the season and their own tactics would be considered fluid enough to properly work on your weaknesses beforehand. So a combination of better organised game plans by the ai and players who struggle with decision making. Not much you can do other than get better players or tweak your tactic a little. Maybe have a look at the role the most prolific offsider is.

Thanks mate, I think I need a tactical tweak. I was undefeated, but now in my last 6 I've had 5 draws and a loss. 13 points clear on top with 12 matches left, very nervous.

But yeah, I guess I'll change some roles around in the hope that the AI will stop outplaying me.

Archived