Help Sunderland beat Chelsea!

I'm managing Sunderland. The year is 2025, we're in the Championship and we have had an amazing season so far. The media predicted us to finish mid-table, but we have exceeded all expectations and are currently at 1st with 86p from 42 games. We have also reached the semi final in the FA Cup. Our opponents at Wembley? Chelsea. 4th in the Premiership. Prem winners in 2022 and 2023. Jose is long gone, he's replaced by a Russian whose surname was censored by this forum. :lol: Leonid censoredkiy. Never heard of him. His history tab shows he managed several Russian clubs before joining Chelsea in 2020. Anyway.

So. Game of the year is coming up, and to be fair to the team I don't really expect us to win this one. However, I would like us to put up the best fight as possible. That's where you guys come in, I'd love to hear your opinions on my team/tactic and suggestions on how to make life miserable for Chelsea.

I usually line up in a 4-1-3-2 formation. We were unbeaten for 20-something games until we recently met Swansea at their place and lost 1-2 due to a horrendous penalty decision. We're usually playing some good stuff, so I'm not looking for a complete overhaul or anything.

10mrha8.png

Standard, Fluid

TI's

Shorter passing, Push higher up

PI's

GK: Distribute to Full Backs, Slow pace down

DL & DR: Pass it shorter, fewer risky passes, stay wider

MC (mid one): Shoot less often (I might take this off, but without this he tends to fire way too many)

SC (left): Close down more

SC (right): Close down more, move into channels

My two most important players:

15efo10.png

352mb9l.jpg

The teams strongest attributes are tackling (def), teamwork (mid) and finishing (att). We also have a capable GK.

What would you do? :)

Your flanks are messed up. Too much movement down the right, too little movement down the left. Switch the BBM and AP. Makes much more sense. The AP covers the WB-A down the right, and the BBM now has space to run into behind the AF - before the DLF was taking up the space for the BBM to run into.

I'd recommend switching the A for a DM in a fluid system

I switched the BBM and AP - made perfect sense, don't know why I haven't thought of that earlier. Probably because we were winning anyway. I kept the A though, I like his contribution to the team. Besides, with Chelsea running riot at me, I figured I needed him.

And what a game it was...

Too bad we got one ruled out for offside and McKenna missed a sitter, we deserved to win this one! Oh well, couldn't have asked for more.

125hs0g.png

Unlucky. Doing well though!

Would McKenna not be better as your AF? He's got the dribbling, pace, movement and finishing to play there. It seems his stats are a bit unsuited to the DLF role. Not especially tall either. I think he'd be way better as your AF.

Lopes would be sick as your CM-A. Alternatively, could you flip your formation over? So it's the same as you've changed it to but on the opposite sides. Lopes looks awesome, great dribbling stats, good crossing but he's left-footed. If you tell him to 'run wide with ball', I think you'd have a lot of success. Only works with him on the left though.

Archived