Helplessly stuck and conceding tons of goals

Firstly, read the stickies. I'd go in this order:

1: How to Play FM

2: Tricking the Wizard

3: Pairs and Combinations

4: Building a Tactic from the Beginning

That will take you from the basics to a sophisticated understanding of the tactics module.

Hey man, I’m no expert but I can see you need help and there are a few things I have noticed from your screenshots.

You say you are leaking goals and this may be because the formation you are playing has no man ahead of the centre backs, to make things worse you have 2 players in the central midfield positions who are not on a defend duty.

I find with the 4-2-3-1 formation both central midfielders need to be able to complete some of the water carrying especially against the better teams due to the space they have behind them, so maybe a DLP support and a cm Defend would plug that gap between your defence and midfielder.

If you watch in game, your tactical instructions are control meaning you are playing a fairly high line but with a huge gap between your midfield and defence leaves space for any opposition amc to take advantage. Imagine leaving a man in the middle of the pitch giving him all the time to pick out balls over the top of your high line where the likes of Mertesacker aren’t going to catch up

I’m also confused by your instructions for Debuchy, Leaving a full back on a defend duty means he won’t get forward, so Sanchez on the wing has nobody even attempting to support him.

I completely understand you wanting to have one more adventuress full back, and one who will be slightly more responsible but in that case I would try an attack duty one side and one at least on support on the other.

I’m not sure how you have been at scoring goals but just looking at a glance you don’t have any forward player on an attack duty, in terms of basics it can be considered good to have one winger on support and the other on attack, with a full back on attack generally behind the winger that’s looking to cut inside like an inside forward. As the cutting inside will open up the space for the full back to bomb forward pulling the oppositions defence around.

I think you should think about what type of football you want your side to try and produce, as it seems as if you don’t really have a clear imagine, for example the target man support will come deep, attracting one of the defenders out with him, but who’s getting into the space he has created?

Hopefully that’s helpful even in just the short term!

Archived