Certain players can't get interntional call-ups?

Has anyone else had the problem where no matter how well a player performs, they simply do not get an international call-up? For example, I am in my third season with QPR and Charlie Austin has scored over 30 goals every season so far yet he doesn't get an England call-up? It's strange seeing as random young players (e.g. Cauley Woodrow of Fulham) were in the England squad by my second season. Anyone have an explanation? I am running on iPhone 5S with the latest iOS update.

I've thought this aswell, not just this year but in previous versions.

I take it as simply the manager at the time didn't rate the player(s)!

Yeah I've noticed it in previous versions too but never got around to posting!

I don't think its that because in my current game England have gone through 3 managers in 3 years! Austin has been the Premier League top scorer 2 years in a row and was narrowly beaten the first year! Unlikely that three managers would ignore that?

I agree, logically if he was scoring in that excess then he would be nailed on to make squads.

I meant it that unless there is an error with the game, other than the manager preferring another player(s) I don't know what it could be. In the same way that I almost always get a message expressing the media’s shock at me /excluding a certain player even when he has average stats and poor form.

Could just be manager/media opinions within the game?

I agree, logically if he was scoring in that excess then he would be nailed on to make squads.

I meant it that unless there is an error with the game, other than the manager preferring another player(s) I don't know what it could be. In the same way that I almost always get a message expressing the media’s shock at me /excluding a certain player even when he has average stats and poor form.

Could just be manager/media opinions within the game?

Yeah maybe, still seems strange that opinions wouldn't vary from game to game like a lot of things do in FMH! Maybe one of the SI crew can clarify for us?

Strange. I had the same issue with Charlie Austin in a Burnley save in FMH13. Charlie Austin was at worst number two in the Premier League top scorer list 5-6 seasons in a row. He was either Premier League Player of the year (at least 3 seasons in a row) or runner up the same seasons. Not one international call up.

• SI Staff

It will more than likely be that the particular manager doesn't fancy them/doesn't think they'll 'fit' into their tactical system. They may be looking at younger players as they'll be in the England team more long-term and want to get them experience at international level.

It's not completely unheard of that a striker scoring goals will be overlooked for the national side. Look at the number of England caps Kevin Phillips won, for example (although the competition ahead of him was a lot stronger than the current generation, it has to be said).

Archived