Newly Promoted Crystal Palace Team/Tactics

Hi guys,

I have recently been promoted from the Championship as Champions with Crystal Palace in 2015/2016.

I took over midway through 2014/15 when they were languishing around the foot of the Championship having been relegated from the Premier League the previous season. We had a great second half of the season and managed to push into the play-offs, being beaten in the Semi Finals. The following season we won the League with 98 Points, 15/16 points ahead of second place.

The Tactic I have used for both campaigns has been a Rigid 4/5/1, with 2 central midfielders (1x Defensive minded, 1x automatic), 2 Wingers and 1 Centre Forward (usually on-loan Patrick Bamford, 32 goals in the promotion season!).

The team lined up (generally) as follows:

Hennessey

Joel Ward, Alexandre Barthe, Danny Batth, Jonathan Parr

Jose Campana (Defensive), Hiram Boateng (Automatic)

Aaron Niguez Sadio Diallo Adam Johnson

Patrick Bamford

Give or take a few minor changes from game to game.

I tend to issue pre-match instructions for Attacking Football (many goals scored, far too many conceded), playing fairly wide and retaining possession, and this has worked well for me in the Championship.

I have now signed Mark Noble for £6m to play alongside Campana, and also looking for a Striker to replace Bamford - which will be difficult.

Now I am in the Premier League, I will be looking to play fairly narrow, and pack the midfield, possibly dropping both CM's into DM positions.

Your thoughts/suggestions please!

Archived