How to use pacey forwards?

I have a number of forward players with high pace and acceleration, but don't know how to use them effectively (currently use counter strategy with high def line). I want to play balls in behind their defence for them to chase, so I have a couple of queries:

1. If I have 2 quick forwards to put in my team, am I better playing them central or from wide positions? Or simply use one central?

2. Following Q1, what is the best formation to play that would allow for such movement behind lines, as well as positions for those who would provide the service.

3. Does team mentality and philosophy have any effect? Any specific team/player instructions (inc player roles) that can help for this style?

I usually play with a bit more patience, but looking for a few pointers to bring my pacier players into game more. Any advice would be greatly received :)

The main thing to consider is how your opponent is playing against you. Pace merchants need space into which they can attack, and that is going to be increasingly difficult to provide if you're a high reputation team whose opponents tend to play very defensive. In that case, you may benefit more from playing them out wide where they will have a better chance of pulling a defender wide and making an angled run into the gap. If you're playing a lower reputation team against aggressive opponents, playing one central will have a better chance of doing a lot of damage. If you're playing against defensive sides, you can also try to drop deeper to lure out the opposition, but the deeper you drop, the quicker and more direct you'll need to play to get the ball forward in time for the forward's pace to make any difference.

You can use any formation really. With fast transitions, you'll generally benefit in attack from keeping more players forward in the ST and AM positions, but again, a lot depends on the players you have and the quality of your opponents.

With a fast transition style, you will want to play faster and more direct to exploit the depth behind the opposition's defence. A Defensive/Counter mentality can work very well against more aggressive opponents who constantly leave themselves exposed at the back, but facing more defensive opponents may see your players holding onto to the ball too much as clear counterattacking opportunities are few and far between. In that case, a Control/Attacking mentality will help ensure your players are quick to move the ball out of their own half even when the opposition is instructed to drop deep and obstruct space inside their own third.

Fluidity/philosophy isn't as much of a concern, and you can make all kinds of arguments for or against. Generally, I would say it mostly depends on the players you have, where you're playing them and how you're looking to structure your attack.

Pacey forwards need space to run into. i doubt pushing higher up helps with that. Counter strategy and direct passing should work plus you will need players that can actually make an accurate pass to the pacey forwards. I would also suggest using pass into space shout aswell.

Archived