[FM11] Anagain's Bucharest to West

anagain

Progress:

[u]Season[/u]      [u]Team[/u]                  [u]League[/u]                   [u]Position[/u]             [u]Cup[/u]          [u]Other Achievements[/u]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234759-Anagain-s-Bucharest-to-West?p=6169033&viewfull=1#post6169033"]2010-11[/url]     Juventus Bucharest    Romanian LigaII Gr2        6th             6th Round            None

~~~

Game Setup: All leagues in Europe loaded to the lowest level plus USA and Australia. All players from Europe, North America and Oceania loaded. Former Semi-Pro as experience.

GameStatus.jpg

~~~

June 2010

Meet the new manager of Juventus...that's Bucharest's Juventus...Anton Nagain.

Born in Hungary, raised in Hungary and moved, at the age of 10, to the sunny, sunny south coast resort of Bournemouth by his English mother. Anton grew up on a diet of beautiful south coast passing football and the sounds of "Supa Fletch" ringing in his ears. Knackered legs ruined chances of a glittering career in the non-league scene of Wessex, a dull job has prompted the taking of coaching badges and now a return to the east beckons for Mr Nagain to make a name for himself in management circles.

A host of clubs were applied for and Juventus Bucharesti got in first to secure the appointment of football's Mr Promising.

Sigla_juventus_bucuresti.gif

bgmessage.jpg

Juve were formed in 1992 out of the ashes of the former Juventus Bucharest who won Liga 1 in the late 20s. They dissolved in 1952 and the current team took up the reins 40 years later. They have blossomed in Liga 3 over the last decade and Nagain has now been tasked with upping the club's reputation into another decade now that the team find themselves back in Liga 2.

Nagain's goals? Bring some glory to his native Hungary or take his beloved Bournemouth in to the Premier league one day.

I'm not really Anton Nagain. It is a name I derived from my forum name for FM09 when I took Koper to glory in the Slovenian league. I always thought it sounded Hungarian so I just had to add in a reason to support the mighty Cherries.

Bring on LigaII!!

Romanian? I'm a quick learner.

~~~

My first training session has left me realising just how tough this might be. There is a bit of talent in midfield but it's all mid-thirties. I have an alarming lack of width in the team, with no younger prospects to fit in, and my strike force looks unable to hit the donkey's arse from five yards. Rapid Bucharest have done me a favour and loaned me some of their worst players but they're not going to win me anything.

Hopefully it's all good in proportion when I come to find out the talent in the rest of LigaII.

Otherwise I need to get scouring the available talent that might want to be a part of my dream rise to glory.

Thanks Crouchaldinho. It is indeed proving to be fun. I'm a slow player so I'm not even through pre-season yet, but I'll be sure to come along an update before the end of the week.

I was looking forward to my first cup game, but the rounds have come and gone and I'm still not in the competition yet. I think I must enter at the 4th round...or at least I hope so. I need a competitive game to get my achievements rolling on Steam.

Buna ziua fotbal fanatici...

I believe that means hello football fans but my grasp of Romanian is faring a little less well than my management skills. It's currently fith on my list of things to improve...after the half time cup of tea. I guess it should be higher.

Well a frenetic pre-season has come to an end and things are gearing up nicely for a long season in the Romanian Liga II. I do believe I have finally shaped the Juventus Bucharesti squad in to something resemebling a unit that can be competetive this season. Despite making a couple of enemies I let go of two young defenders with the suggestion that they could do better for themselves in the big wide world. They didn't agree, but they went anyway. I have two young midfielders and a keeper on my books that aren't likely to get games this season...unless things hit real dire straights...but no one is keen to take them on loan and my squad is still a little threadbare that keeping them around...especially the midfielders might be useful.

I have managed to extend the list of Juventus players by five, and all will be valuable assets for me this season. The pick of the bunch is a Zambian by the name of Rainford Kalaba and I was so delighted when he signed that I personally painted his dressing room seat in the colours of the Zambian flag. Joining him are:

Ukrainian Olexandr Pershyn,

Cristian Iatu, a winger signed for £3k from FC Mamares,

Adrian Ionescu, an up and coming central midfielder signed from the Univ. Cluj B team for a bargain £5k,

Dorin Marmaneanu, signed on a season long loan from Dinamo Bucharest

I am tempted to sign a young trialist by the name of Dan Apostol for a bit more cover. I'm in two minds about him.

Pre-season started with a comfortable 3-0 win over Bulgarians Gigant and a somewhat more nervy 4-3 win over the Serbian First Leaguers, Zeman. Gloria Arad were beaten 2-1 away from home and two home games saw a slight 1-0 defeat of FC Bihor and the destruction of minnows Galbinasi 5-0. My toughest tests came against fellow Liga II participants, FC Arges Pitesti and Snagov. FC Arges held us to a 1-1 draw but Snagov succumbed to a 1-0 defeat.

That led us on to our first competetive game of the season, and my first as Juventus Bucharest manager. It was a cup game against last years relegated Liga II particpants, FCM Bacau, and was to be held in neutral Ramnicu Sarat.

We started nervy, with Kalaba not showing the form he had shown in pre-season, but we were still on top. That was until disaster struck on 23 minutes. A long ball over the top left my keeper in two minds as to whether to clear or retreat. He chose retreat and left full back Cornel Dobre to deal with an awkward bouncing ball which resulted in injury to the player. Bacau gained the advantage from that moment on and deservedly, I must say, took the lead in the 31st minute from a Bogdan Nicolae own goal.

That was how it stayed until half time and my rollicking spurred the team on a bit at the start of the second period. We were still struggling to break down a resolute Bacau defence consisting of two center backs and a sweeper though. Kalaba could get little of the ball and my strikers were getting no service. I decided to utilise the flanks a little more and luck shone down on us in the form of what was probably a lucky penalty. Kalaba converted and the game was back on.

The goal seemed to spur us on and we took the lead on 73 minutes after heavy pressure. Marmaneanu was playing a blinder down the left and he crossed a delightful ball for Stefan Iordache to head home a bullet. It was then all over as a contest in the 81st minute. Marmaneanu trickery down the left, an unselfish ball across the box and Alin Nica was there to

FCM Bacau 1 - 3 Juventus Bucharesti (Romanian Cup 4th Round)

Hopefully this is the start of a beautiful friendship between Anton Nagain and Romanian football. More to come...and hopefully a testing team in the 5th round of the cup.

Four days later the whole Juventus camp was still on a high from our rather dominating win over Bacau, attentions had to be turned to our first league match against Botosani though. We weren't expected to win, we were the new boys in Liga II and Botosani's manager had some suitably sarcastic comments to aim at me prior to the match. I put him in his place and told him we'd win...convincingly.

Juventus Bucharesti vs. FC Botosani (Romanian Liga II) at Juventus Stadium, Bucharesti

My nerves hit fever pitch for the first near 10 minutes. Botosani were dominating and looked like they might eat my words and spit them back in my face. It looked like it could all be a rude awakening and a startling insight into what I was up against. Then up stepped Alin Nica. Ionut Balan, deputising at right back for the injured Dobre, crossed from the right touchline and straight in to the path of Alin Nica who dutifully slotted home. 1-0 Juventus! Five minutes later and it was two. Nica ran at the Botosani defence, twisting and turning and sucking up defenders. He then sent a delightful through ball into the path of Iordache who

. Offside was questioned and I think it was...in all honesty. You have to take the luck though, don't you? It is was hard to tell from the televised hightlights, but it's in the past now.

We were on a high at half time, singing was heard from the Juventus dressing room and perhaps the echoes of Viva Zambia from Kalaba. Perhaps it was also false hope as Botosani shook the rafters of Juventus stadium within a minute of the restart. Every single player in my team missed Rakic who easily slotted home a long cross. The goal also put us on the back foot for the rest of the match and Botosani had a fair few chances they scandalously wasted. I mixed my team about a fair bit, mainly prompted by my super Zambian having to go off injured, and we managed to hold our own through strength and determination.

As the game wore on Botosani had to send men forward and we were launching some speculative counter attacks. In the 88th minute the game was over as a contest when man of the match, Alin Nica, slotted home from the edge of the six yard box after tenacious midfield battling by the Juve captain Dumitru Grigore had carved us an opening. 3-1 Juventus and pretty much home and dry. We battled out the last few minutes for a stunning first victory in Liga II. I was a very proud manager.

Final Score: Juventus Bucharesti 3 - 1 FC Botosani Att. 1036

Up next is September and FC Snagov in our first away game. We can't keep these 3-1 scorelines up forever can we?

Note: Grigore may not look like much, but he's one of those players that is a rock despite his technical stats. I was tempted to stick him on the bench for the most of season, and even rob him of the captaincy, but I'm glad I didn't. He's playing well.

Acesta este in mijlocul Septembrie si limba Romana este mai bine...

Yes...my Romanian is improving. It is the middle of September, in case you hadn't worked that out and we're not doing really bad or really good. We're just rather settled in the middle. The team is ticking along nicely you might say.

Dan Apostol signed for us at the start of the month. As I said, I was in two minds about signing him as he hadn't really had a chance to show what he could do in the center of the park during pre-season, mainly filling in on the wing. He can play both but I do feel his best position is in the center of the park as a backup for Kalaba. Kalaba, on the other hand, has some great potential but he is not really showing it and I'm concerned as to what to do. I don't know that giving him a kick up his Zambian backside is the right way as he got a little narky with me for suggesting he take a rest. I guess that might just mean he has the zeal but he'll take a while to adjust to life in Bucharest.

Doesn't everyone?

~~~

Well there's been three games played so far this month, resulting in a win, a draw and a defeat.

4/9/2010 FC Snagov vs. Juventus Bucharest (Romanian LigaII) at Vointa, Ghermanesti

Despite being on a high after the convincing win over Botosani we failed somewhat in this tie against a team we believed we could beat. I wasn't getting on too well with the Botosani manager, a Mr Popovici, and it had left me feeling rather brash so I told the media we expected a comfortable win against Snagov. I came to eat my words when Voicu scored early with a header from an unmarked position on the left of the box. I was rather annoyed with my defence but the goal must have hit us hard because we never got back in to the match. It was even but I don't think we were going to score if the game had lasted a week. MY first taste of defeat in Bucharest, and it was hard to take after conceding such a sloppy goal. It was our second such goal, too, and beckoned harsh words with the defence. Dobre would be back from his injury sustained in the opener soon and hopefully that would sure up the hole.

Final Score: FC Snagov 1 - 0 Juventus Bucharest Att. 450

~~~

Tensions never really simmered down between myself and Mr Popovici. Harsh words were spoken and, to be frank, I felt a fool after letting him goad me into promising a thrashing of Snagov. Calm my haste has just appeared above find better tea on my list. Though, to be honest, finding better tea in Bucharest will be the equal of beating Chelsea in the Euro Cup final.

I'll import some Tetley.

~~~

Up next was a cup game against little Breaza to be played in Ploiesti. At least I'm getting to see the country on this cup run.

7/9/2010 Breaza vs. Juventus Bucharest (Romanian Cup 5th Round) at Astra, Ploiesti

We were expected to beat Breaza comfortably and I went out with an attacking formation but with some key players rested. Kalaba was to be rested but he refused so I put him in with the intention of pulling him off at half time. He was to be joined by some of my fringe players and I had every intention of playing some youngsters who didn't look like they had a huge future at the club, even if they came on late.

We were on top the whole of the first half and went into the break 2-0 to the good. We had been given the best possible start with Breaza conceding a thrid minute penalty that Kalaba duly put away, but the goal of the game was a

near half time. I think it was his way of telling me he was a good signing. I really changed things around in the second half and had a look at youngsters Alexandru Zaharia and Silviu Rotaru. Zaharia actually rather impressed me and played some nice passes into space beyond the Breaza defence. It was only misfortune that stopped us scoring another goal, but I was more than happy with a 2-0 win and the performances of some fringe players. Ionescu has a solid game in the center of the park, in place of Grigore, and Nicolae played a blinder at the back. He almost single handedly broke up every Breaza attempt to get back in to the game.

Final Score: Breaza 0 - 2 Juventus Bucharest Att. 2636

~~~

A few days later we came up against a team I thought would be our sternest opponents yet, Chiajna. We had home advantage but I went with caution and, despite selecting an attacking line up, I didn't hype an easy win.

11/9/2010 Juventus Bucharest vs. Chiajna (Romanian LigaII), at Juventus, Bucharest

The game turned out to be one of those cagey affairs where neither team really shines. Neither of us were especially on the backfoot and we both had chances but failed to convert. The Chiajnan right winger, Popa, caused us iproblems but we managed to hold firm. Dobre was back and I do believe that sured up our defensive frailities. There was proof when he got man of the match. Up front, Alin Nica was all over the place and really made a mischief of himself. If his partner, Iordache, had performed then that might have been enough to find us a goal and the win, but he didn't and I had to have words about his performance. People need time to settle and warm to me so I won't be too harsh.

All in all I was pleased with a point against the team predicted to finish third. We're seventh in the table after three games and that will suit me.

Final Score: Juventus Bucharest 0 - 0 Chiajna Att. 1015

~~~

Just before I sign off some happy news. The draw for the sixth round of the cup was made today and guess who we got? No, no idea? Steaua Bucharest and a real test of our ability and my managerial skills. We play at Juventus Stadium in a week, and there's just the small matter of a league game against their B side on Saturday, between now and then.

Can we do the double over Steaua?

It didn't exactly start as I intended against the Steauas.

18/9/2010 Steaua Bucharest II vs. Juventus Bucharest (Romanian LigaII), at Ghencea V, Bucharest

I was seriously disappointed with the team as we never got a foot in this match. Steaua were 2-0 up within 20 minutes, a simple headed goal from Grosu and a penalty from Greek international Kapetanos. We huffed and we puffed for the rest of the match but just about one effort was all we had to show for it. Iordache is going through a lacklustre run of form and Kalaba has never truly displayed the brilliance I saw from him in pre-season and the further brilliance I expected of him. I really did expect more against the Steaua seconds though. They hadn't won before today and had looked poor against their previous opposition. Perhaps our nerves were testy in anticpation of the big game around the corner.

On a positive note, Dan Apostol continues to impress me and it has me thinking of moving Marmaneanu up front, slotting Iatu on the right and giving Dan a first team place on the wing. It would mean I need to really find another left winger, but Marmaneanu played a short period up front in the match and he looked better there. I have a few free targets and I need to get busy offering trial periods and friendlies. The friendlies are needed to keep the fringe players fit besides.

Final Score: Steaua Bucharest II 2 - 0 Juventus Bucharest, att: 2957

~~~

On to the big game and I really need a decent mug of Tetley to calm my nerves. We're training hard on our defenses in anticipation of being on the back foot. It may be time to withdraw to one up front and pack the midfield or defence...or both.

22/9/2010 Juventus Bucharest vs. Steaua Bucharest (Romanian Cup Sixth Round), at Juventus, Bucharest

To put a popular English phrasing into Romanian...am fost jefuit...or at least that's what the dictionary says. We were robbed, the best team lost but I was so immensely proud of the lad's effort in this cup tie.

It hadn't looked like I would be saying that after 4 minutes when Kapetanos again came back to haunt me and put Steaua in to an early lead. I feared the worst from that moment and was expecting a whitewash. I should have been more believing of my boys because it became more a case that we were forcing the match from then on. Steaua played a defensive game and they were struggling to break down my backline. We were breaking often but just failing to make that last killer ball count. Then up popped Ionescu to send the Juventus faithful in to rapture. Nica was sent tumbling in midfield but the ref played the advantage and Ionescu carried the ball to the edge of the area where

. 1-1 and a moment to behold.

From that moment we were firmly in control and I even upped the ante and directed us to attack for the final throws of the game. We knew we weren't going to win the game at Steaua so I thought why not. I hadn't actually anticipated that the game would go to penalties and no replay but we had started attacking and it was working. We were causing Steaua real problems and our defence held firm.

It was the referee that caused our downfall. Nicolae had superbly cleared a dangerous Steaua attack and the ball was piled into our area from the resulting throw in. The ball was headed cleared and the moment seemed passed when the ref blew for a penalty. Ionut Balan had been deemed guilty of tripping a Steau player, but it looked clear the ref had made a huge error. Kapetanos popped up to again cause me trouble, sending the penalty through Bogdan Craiu and in to the back of the net. That was how the first period of extra time ended and it left us facing an uphill struggle. We may have been causing Steaua problems but our final ball wasn't quite up to the mark.

It all then got even worse when Rusu scored a screecher from distance, but no Juventus player let his head down. We continued to go forward and even got a lucky break when Eder Bonfirm put the ball in to the back of his own net with a stunningly disastrous clearing volley. It was a little too late to get us to penalties though. We were out of the cup to a calamitous piece of refereeing error, but we had done ourselves proud.

Final Score: Juventus Bucharest 2 - 3 Steaua Bucharest, Att. 5336

~~~

I hadn't realised just how much the penalty had affected Ionut Balan and it took some calming words to reassure him that he hadn't let the team down. I still think the incident will continue to affect the lad. Damn you referee.

On a brighter note, Marius Lacatus, the Romanian legend and Steaua manager, was very praiseworthy of my skills. I feel this could prosper a great friendship between the two of us. I do wish I hadn't told the press that the best team lost though. I just hope Marius realises that really was the case.

~~~

It was back to league duties a few days later with the visit of Farul Constanta. The Black Sea club were riding high in the league but they had lost 5-1 at home to freely attacking CS Otopeni a few games back, Perhaps the key was to really get at them. I figured I might have to rest a few players after the tiring cup game in mid-week, but I felt I had e squad capable of winning this game.

25/9/2010 Juventus Bucharest vs. Farul Constanta (Romanian LigaII), at Juventus, Bucharest

Well what can I say? The game started swimmingly for us when up popped man of the moment Dan Apostol to head into the back of the net from a Marmaneanu cross. Winger to winger and we were 1-0 up within two minutes. Our attacking game plan seemed to be working. We ruled the rest of the first half but couldn't find another goal. I told the lads to go out and secure the win in the decond half but it started in reverse to the events of the first half. Hussein crossed for Mihai to head Farul back in to the game and we now had to go back on the attack and try to find a winner. It was Farul that found the winner though, and it was a cruel blow. We had attacked almost constantly the whole game just couldn't find a goal. Farul sent the ball long deep in to injury time and a quick cross found Scarletescu to head the ball home.

It was a hard game to take. We had lost 2-1 when we had had much of the possession. My inability to score of late is becoming problematic.

Final Score: Juventus Bucharest 1 - 2 Farul Constanta, Att. 866

~~~

September, all in all, had been a difficult month with the only win coming in the cup against lowly Breaza. We had started well with a good point against Chiajna and the cup game against Steaua had been a thrilling contest, but we're struggling to score goals and it is turning out to be our downfall. We can control games and need to find that final bit to turn that control in to wins. It could be Marmaneanu up front and Apostol on the wing. Young Dan proved again that he has the ability and I think that may be the way ahead. I need to get more out of Rainford Kalaba too.

The table doesn't make good reading for Juventus fans. We find ourselves in 11th place on 4 points, just 2 points off bottom but 8 points behind Otopeni at the top. We need to improve.

I need to cut these reports down. I play slow enough as it is and all this reporting is taking a lot of time, so much so that I'm spending less time in game and enjoying it less. I wanted to keep a record but I do tend to overplay things. I need to think about this.

Time for a slightly different format...

October 2010

With a bad September out of the way we set our sights on changing our on picth fortunes and concentrated on team blend. I thought it might just help the new players to fit in to the side. Kalaba wasn't playing as well as I'd hoped and nor were Iatu and Marmaneanu. The only player who had shone had been Apostol, but even his performances had wained towards the end of the month.

We went into our first game of October, against Delta Tulcea, with a new outlook of hope.

Delta Tulcea 2 - 0 Juventus Bucharest; at Delta, Tulcea; Att. 2063

Nanu 61, Barladeanu 77

It didn't work. We were by far the worst team but nothing we tried to make happen...happened. We looked lacklustre up front and really didn't look like hitting the back of the net. Delta finished us off with two gifted goals in the middle of the second half and we went home with our heads down.

~~~

In the week I decided to take a look at some out of contract players and played them in a couple of friendlies against minor opposition. My outlook on life, which had become rather poor with the results and the lack of Tetley tea, gained a boost with some great performances from three of the triallists. Rudison Ferreira is a Brazilian that had two fantasic games on the left and looks like he could be the left sided player I wanted to bring in as Marmaneanu has moved up front. Abbe Ibrahim and Alin Dragan played up front in both friendlies and each scored, Dragan making it a hattrick in the second game and gaining the advantage. I feel I should only really bring in one player, and it would likely be Ferreira, but Dragan has given me something to consider.

~~~

Dinamo II 2 - 1 Juventus Bucharest; at Florea Dumitrache, Bucharest; Att. 292

Paun 18, Alexe 76; Apostol 26

The first friendly, and the triallist's performances, had given us a boost and we went into this game against a struggling team with a good outlook. We hadn't won since the opening game of the season and we really needed to turn that around now that we were langushing near the foot of the division. Again though it didn't turn out as planned. Dinamo turned the match predictions on us and took the lead in what was rather a close game. Dan Apostol gave us some hope of snatching a draw with his equaliser, but the Dinamo winner was a cruel blow when we really looked like hanging on was within our grasp.

Marmaneanu and Nica were playing in a front two now, but hadn't gelled yet. To add more torment Iatu, since switching to the left, was struggling to find some form. The changes were necessary but the sooner they came off for us the better. We were second bottom in the table now.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 4 - 1 Gloria Buzau, at Juventus, Bucharest, Att. 769

Nicolae 2, Nica 30, Pershyn 47, Kalaba 55; Ungureanu 35

Dobre sent-off 45 Simion sent-off 58

Finally! Gloria Buzau had been struggling all season and were just a point ahead of us going into this game. I knew we could beat them and went all out attack. Marmaneanu still never really found any form in this game but the rest of the team really pulled out a performance, especially Kalaba who shone in the heart of midfield. Going 2-0 up was spoilt somewhat by Buzau's equaliser and then Dobre's sending off for what was a horror tackle. At half time we were looking like things could turn on us and go in Buzau's favour but Olex Pershyn and Kalaba took the game by the scruff of the neck in 10 second half minutes and killed off the opposition completely. Simion's sending off then even killed the game completely and we hung on to record a much needed win.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 1 - 0 CS Otopeni; at Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 914

Marmaneanu 3

Otopeni had been top of the table from the first day of the season and I really feared we would be back to losing ways by the end of 90 minutes. The team pulled out a rugged performance to confine my fears, and Otopeni, to the heap. Marmaneanu scored his first goal in a Juventus shirt to give us an early lead and we hung on for the remainder of the game. Otopeni never really even looked like equalising and, in fact, we could even have had two more goals but for marginal off sides. We really need to keep this form going in to November now.

~~~

I actually had offered Ferreira a contract just before the Otopeni game and perhaps it had forced the team in to a performance. Iatu, whose place in the team would be in threat, actually put in a very credible display on the left. He looked threatening the whole game. They say depth makes people fight for their place and perhaps this is just what we need. It's making me seriously consider offering a contract to Dragan as well now. He can fight it out for a first team place with Nica and Marmaneanu. I would give Dragan a go in one more friendly and see how he performed. Well and he gets a contract, average and I let him go.

Alin Dragan scored twice and set up Ibrahim for our first goal so a contract offer was on the way. Ibrahim played well too but his being Togoan left me dubious that signing him would be worthwhile being that I had a fair few foreign players in the squad already and an abundance of strikers. There are a few strikers I would love to send out on loan and a loanee who hasn't really got a look in that I should send back. I'll schedule a coach meeting for that.

~~~

FCM Dunarea Galati 1 - 1 Juventus Bucharest; at Dunarea, Galati; Att. 263

Carjan 2; Radison Ferrieira 73

Agache sent-off 87

There were two very strong plus points going into the next game. Ferreira accepted the contract offer and Dunarea had lost their last game 6-0 at Botosani, the team we beat on the opening day. True, they could turn around and make retribution for that defeat, but perhaps going at them would find them on the back foot and give us our first away win.

We did go forward from the whistle but it was Dunarea who gained the advantage with a simple goal through the middle after just two minutes. We tried to come straight back at them but the narrow pitch wasn't helping our wingers so I switched to a more central formation with three central midfielders and an attacking midfielder just behind the front two. It made a difference but the chances we had weren't taken. It was to and fro throughout the second period with neither side able to gain the advantage and we were still a goal down. The closest anyone got was a missed penalty for Dunarea, though it was just desserts in my view as their player hit the deck in comical fashion. Despite it not being a game for wingers I decided Nica wasn't getting the luck his movement deserved and switched him for Radison Ferreira midway through the half. It turned out to be the masterstroke and he fired us back in to the game with a sweetly taken strike from the edge of the box.

Dunarea had the best of the play late on and despite being a man down they looked the more likely to win the game. In the end I was pleased to snatch a draw and continue my little unbeaten run.

~~~

So a much better month of October than September. We had dropped down to second bottom but we're now back up to 11th and four points clear of the relegation places again. Our goal for November is to maintain this unbeaten run and lift ourselves up the table and away from this threat of relegation. We have four games in November; Braila away followed by Sageata at home, Vitorul away and Ceahlaul at home. Both Braila and Sageata are struggling and I'd like to think them winnable games. We have no distraction of the cup and our squad is nicely fleshed out since Alin Dragan decided to sign after the Dunarea game, so I think good things are on the cards.

I even found a friendly grocer who thinks he can get a supply of Tetley.

~~~

Juventus Player of the Month (October 2010): Bogdan Nicolae - for his performances at the heart of defence which have given us a platform to build from.

Juventus One to Watch (October 2010): Mihai Luca - the young center forward is top scorer, has the best average rating and the highest pass completion in the U19s Group 1.

November 2010

The month started off about as bad as it could do. My physio team reported to me that Bogdan Nicolae would be out for about two to three weeks with a bruised thigh after a collision with back up defender Ion Feleaga. I'd seen the incident in training but it hadn't looked so bad then. My first thought upon hearing the news was that Ion wanted a better chance of a place in the team, but it was entirely accidental. He still had a ways to go until he was first or second choice anyway.

~~~

CF Braila 1 - 1 Juventus Bucharest; Municipal, Braila; Att. 3979

Buca 22; Dragan 65

Moldoveanu sent-off for Braila on 87

Rudison Ferriera made his second start and Dragan partnered Nica up front. Both were very much creative forwards and I spent the first half trying to find a way to have them complement each other. Braila took advantage of this new partnership and the loss of Nicolae to take a 1-0 lead in to the break. Halfway through the second half I decided tyhe Dragan and Nica partnership wasn't going to work. They were my two most consistent strikers but they were just two similar and I took of Nica to be replaced by the big man, Iordache. This paid dividends within five minutes as Dragan broke to pull us level.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 5 - 2 Sageata Navodari; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 885

Kalaba 50 (Pen), Iordache 56, Dragan 69, 70, Apostol 88; Chitu 7 (Pen), 64

Our biggest win of the season came in this phenomenal game in which we went all out attack and troubled the oppoistion keeper more than at any time of the season. We really were marvellous to watch even though we went in to the break 1-0 to a harsh penalty. We came out cylinders firing in the second half and stunned Sageata with eyecatching forrward thinking football. We never looked like losing the game after the break and Iordache scored a peach of a goal that may well be hard to better this season. Rudison Ferreira may not have got on the scoresheet but he was outstanding down the left. He was a constant threat with his runs at the opposition full back. I am starting to think he is going to be the best signing I have made and will either become a Juventus legend or be snapped up by a bigger team.

Aurel Sunda received his marching orders from Sageata after this defeat. Do I feel guilty? Will the guy get me some Tetley tea if I say yes?

~~~

Viitorul Constanta 2 - 2 Juventus Bucharest; Orasenesc, Ovidiu; Att. 274

Ignat 71 (Pen), Chitu 84; Kalaba 31 (Pen), 90+3

Nicolae sent-off for Juventus on 69

Another remarkable match for the spectator in which we stunned the home side with a 1-0 lead at half time. We had resorted to a counter attacking 4-4-2 and we were frustrating the home side every time they came forward, then breaking with gusto. It was only due to the brilliance of the Viitorul keeper that we weren't more goals to the good when tragedy struck. Nicolae, having only just returned from injury, brought down the dangerous Chitu to gift the home team a penalty. That was bad enough by itself but the referee decided to doubly punish us and sent Bogdan to the changing rooms for an early shower. Ignat converted the penalty and it sent the game in to a tense last 20 minutes before tragedy numnber two struck with just six minutes left. Chitu scored what looked like a blatantly off side goal and we had it all to do with very little time to do it. We had been controlling the match so effectively until the referee decided to intervene and now we looked like losing when we'd hoped to gain our first away win. It would have been so too had Rainford Kalaba not stepped up with a Zambian wonder goal to send the away supporters wild and myself in to stunned admiration. To tell the full story Dan Apostol ran down the right, passed two defenders and sent in a marvellous cross which Kalaba hit with the sweetest of volleys. The keeper stood no chance. There might have been a ricochet or two so it won't go down as the best goal ever seen but it was so timely and we'd rescued a point when we should have been going home empty handed.

The Viitorul boss was nice enough to go to the media after the game and tell every one that he believed we wouldn;t be going down because I had the ability to make sure it wasn't so.

~~~

There was good or bad news going in to the end of the month, at least if you look at the facts. One of the two teams battling for top spot, FC Ceahlaul Piatra Neamt completed a takeover but it was rumoured to lead to dire consequences and may lead to the removal of boss, Marin Barbu. This was reported to have led to major loss of morale in the team camp. You may wonder why this was good news for Juventus until I tell you that Ceahlaul are the team we face next. Go on new directors, make them unhappy!

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 6 - 0 FC Ceahlaul Piatra Neamt; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 923

Feleaga 13, Kalaba 18, 48 (Pen), Dragan 45+1, Iordache 84, Grigore 90+1

Baltoi sent-off for Ceahlaul on 61

I went into this game a little worried having both Nicolae and Pershyn missing from the center of defence; Nicolae for his sending off and Pershyn for too many yellow cards. I needn't have worried for both Feleaga and Neagu (who had been a more than able stand in for Nicolae earlier in the month) came in to the side and did me proud. In fact the whole team did me proud. Perhaps it really was morale problems in the heart of the Ceahlaul camp but we tore them apart at the seams and pulled them in to single threads. They only threatened with quick bursts through the middle and Bogdan Craiu was equal to each one. We destroyed them with insightful passing and pace down the wings. If I had one concern it would be that we weren't getting enough men in to the box for crosses. If we had it could have been ten.

If I don't get manager of the month I'll be gobsmacked.

~~~

So it had been a November to remember. Two big wins at home and two good draws away has seen us stabilise in mid table on 19 points. We're now ten points clear of the relegation spots and twelve away from the promotion spots. I don't think we'll challenge for promotion unless we can keep this form going and improve our away record a notch, but neither do I think we'll be in any danger of going down now. The duo of Rudison Ferreira and Alin Dragan have turned our season on its head but I feel I should play some part in things. Before the Sageata match I decided to bring my wingers in a little and give them a bit more freedom as to when to get their crosses in. It appears to have paid dividends as they have been my main threat for the last three matches. Beforehand they had been sluggish and we hadn't looked a threat. Maybe it's my own ego but I'll pat myself on the back.

~~~

In fact I was completely ignored for manager of the month; the award going to Ceahlaul's Marin Barbu. Kalaba did collect player of the month, though, and I had six players named in team of the week after the thrashing of Ceahlalul. That thrashing that convinced the powers that be to gift their manager an award. No it's not sour grapes...well maybe it is.

~~~

Juventus Player of the Month (November 2010): Rainford Kalaba - four goals in four matches and two man of the match performances.

Juventus One to Watch (November 2010): Rudison Ferreira - He has been here one month and has shone and changed our fortunes immensely. He is going to our key player going forward.

December 2010

Astra II Giurgiu 0 - 0 Juventus Bucharest; Marin Anastasovici, Giurgiu; Att. 111

The game to mark the halfway point of the season, and the commencement of the winter break, was an affair of missed passes, poor finishing and picky refereeing. It was a match that is pretty much best left forgotten about.

The only incident of major note is that Dan Apostol went off with a badly sprained ankle and should miss at least the next month. It's just as well we have nearly three months break now. He should be fine for my planned mini-pre-season in February.

~~~

Winter Break Analysis

Board Confidence:

BoardConfidenceDec2010.png

Table:

TableDec2010.png

Mid-Season stats (overall):

Mid-SeasonLigaIIstats.png

Player of the Season (so far): Rainford Kalaba

Goal of the Season (so far): Beautifully brought down and volleyed home goal by Iordache vs. Sageata Navodari:

[video=youtube;SZshwXuydeg]

~~~

Moving forward

Come February it will be a case of trying to keep this form going, pushing for a good finish and attempting to improve our away form. We are yet to win away but have only lost the one game at home, to Farul. I'll be more than happy to maintain our position of 9th, but would be delighted with a finish in the top five.

On the scouting front, and ultimately looking towards next season, I need to find players to replace all the loanees that will leave in June. The chief requirement is a left back, and a young back up for Kalaba would be very welcome. I had been thinking towards a new keeper but Bogdan Craiu has been outstanding between the sticks over the last few games. He is still young and hopefully there will be improvement to come. If he were ever injured then I think we might be at a loss, so there's no reason not to look for a new keeper.

I keep pushing for this lack of Tetley situation to stop being a burden, and I have been assured by the local grocer I mentioned earlier that my worries will soon be a thing of the past. It will save on the postage my Mother is forking out from the south of England, but it's like she said you should have taken more with you. I should. It's just as well the start of my career has been so promising that tea is my biggest worry.

The winter break passed relatively peacefully, but I tell you it's goddamn cold in Bucharest in the winter. Mother took a holiday and brought with her a few boxes of Tetley so I'm well stocked for the second half of the season.

I've played a few friendlies and had a look at some players, as well as signing a young keeper to fullfill one of my list of needs to improve the squad in to next season. So in comes Alin Dragne, and he's happy to sit on the bench and try to force his way in to the squad. It's just as well because Bogdan Craiu is number one at the club and will take some beating. I tried to unload my former number two but no one is willing to take a look at him yet, depsite reported interest. I'll have to keep the current wage spending until the end of the season when I'll certainly be sending some players on.

The couple of triallists still at the club are players I do like the look of but I am tentative to get too many players in with quite a few fringe players already here. I'll keep my eye on them and try and perhaps sign them up on occaisonal trials to see if there's been any change. If anyone bids then I'll jump in and compete. I am only at just over half my wage budget but the club is losing money regardless and I'd like to avoid adding to that loss.

My name appears to have been bandied around the press in connection with the job at a couple of League Two English clubs as well. If you want to believe the press then Bradford and Gillingham would be keen to give me a job. I'm not sure I could live in Gillingham and my northern is a little rusty, but we'll see.

Winter Break Friendlies

Home versus Polonia Warsawa, lost 0-1

Away to Istanbul Glencirbiligi, won 4-0 (Istanbul Winter Tour)

Away to Istanbul Yamanspor, won 4-0 (Istanbul Winter Tour)

Away to Istanbul Kartal Belediyespor, won 4-1 (Istanbul Winter Tour)

Home to Widzew Lodz, won 2-1 (a fantastic result against top league Polish opposition)

Home to Viitorul Ianca, won 1-0

And back to the Romanian LigaII in one week with a trip to Botosani up near the Ukranian border.

March 2011

FC Botosani 1 - 2 Juventus Bucharest; Municipal, Botosani; Att. 2383

Balba 42; Dragan 78, Rudison Ferriera 90+3

Back from the winter break and we were hoping to keep this fine run of form, that had seen us unbeaten for eight matches, going for as long as we could. Botosani was a tough game to come back to and I count us very lucky to have come away with three points. They bossed the game from start to finish and I was more than happy to be taking a point away following Alin Dragan's 78th minute equaliser. Then up popped our brilliant Brazilian, with what could be goal of the season, and all three points were going to Juventus. Borosani should feel themselves hard done by but you have to take the luck, right?

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 5 - 1 FC Snagov; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 939

Dragan 12, 26, 46, 83, Marmaneanu 76 (Pen); Oprea 2

I feared the worst after the second minute but it actually signalled the start of our domination of this game. Alin Dragan scored a superb four goals and we never looked like conceding a second. I do believe teams are starting to fear coming to Juventus stadium.

~~~

Chiajna 1 - 0 Juventus; Concordia, Chiajna; Att. 420

Popa 89

It had to end sometime and our proud unbeaten streak went down to a late, late goal in a match where no team really dominated. It was a dull match, too, and our luck of the Botosani match was countered out. I still am struggling to understand why we are so dominant at home and yet so frustrating away. We do tend to sit back for fear of getting hit, but the team just don't have the same panache away from the home fans. I am fearful of going all out to recreate that, and I must say that even if we're trying to get back in to a game we don't have the same flair.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 3 - 1 Steaua Bucharest II; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 1328

Kalaba 31, 50 (Pen), Apostol 80; Abrudan 84

The away game to the Steaua second string had been very disappointing so this was a very welcome win. The first half was good enough and Rainford gave us a 1-0 lead with a nice finish from outside the area. We turned the style on even more in the second period and I'd put that down to the left back Steaua bought on. He struggled with everythign we threw at him down the right and, despite a little Steaua pressure at the end of the game, we recorded a comfortable win.

~~~

It had been a great return to action after the long winter months and though it was disappointing to lose our unbeaten form we were now up to 8th in the LigaII table. We are rather well clear of any threat of relegation now, being as how there is a large gap between the five teams at the bottom and everyone else, and there is an outside chance of making the top two. I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if we could do that and I have to put our form down to the three men that have changed this team so dramatically; Rainford Kalaba, Rudison Ferreira and Alin Dragan. Without those three I fear we would be struggling at the foot of the table. You can call it manager inspiration or just blind luck to attract such stars, but I'm reluctant to take any credit.

Juventus Player of the Month (March 2011): Alin Dragan - purely for his four goals against Snagov.

Juventus One to Watch (March 2011): Doru Bratu - the young left back is on loan from rapid Bucharest and surely has great things destined for him. The press keep asking if I'd like to sign him permanantly but I know his future lies at a higher level.

Juventus Goal of the Month ( March 2011):

[video=youtube;eSF1rVICp40]

April 2011

Farul Constanta 0 - 0 Juventus Bucharest; Farul, Constanta; Att. 2121

This was a dull start to April and one in which we could have been considered to be lucky to get a draw. Farul were on top throughout much of the game and had a few good chances. Nicolae and Pershyn were, as is commonly becoming the case, solid at the back to keep the scores level.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 2 - 1 Delta Tulcea; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 852

Apostol 59, Nica 90+2; Nanu 69

This was a tough game against a team who have improved massively in the second half of the season. Both teams went on the attack to make for an interesting game of end to end football. It could have gone to any team, and looked like being the fair result of a draw until Alin Nica popped up in injury time to give us a much celebrated win. Tulcea can feel hard done by really as they made for a fantastic game of football.

~~~

CS Otopeni 0 - 0 Juventus Bucharest; CS Otopeni, Otopeni; Att. 1155

Another 0-0 draw away from home and the feeling is becoming stronger that we're not going to score away unless we up our attacking tendencies. It was Nicolae and Pershyn who again got us the point. They were superb at the back and frustrated Otopeni time and again. I'm happy to keep drawing away to be fair.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 2 - 0 Dinamo II; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 1202

Grigore 83, Dragan 86

Two more late, late goals gave us a win in a battling match against the Dinamo second team. We looked dangerous throughout much of the match but this was a game of defences and it looked like going to the whistle goalless. That was until the last ten minutes when Dinamo seemed to go a lot more attacking in an effort to nab the points. We capitalised on that with two late strikes; a simple tap in from Grigore and a nicely hit shot from the edge of the area by Dragan.

~~~

We're up to sixth in the table now and the media are beginning to speculate that we can challenge for a promotion place. I'm not convinced but it will be nice to get the players buzzing. I think we're certainly safe from relegation at least.

~~~

Juventus Player of the Month (April 2011): Bogdan Nicolae - for many a strong defensive display this month.

Juventus Player to Watch (April 2011): Alin Nica - surely a young, pacey striker to keep an eye on. He has become a regular substitution this month and has caused trouble to defences each and every time.

May 2011

Gloria Buzau 1 - 1 Juventus Bucharest; Gloria, Buzau; Att. 5351

Zuluf 62; Rudison Ferreira 45+2

We started the month with a 1-1 draw in a tight game. That being said, we had a couple of good chances and some might say we should have won the match. A draw was a handy result though.

~~~

Sageata Navodari 3 - 3 Juventus Bucharest; Petromidia, Navodari; Att. 93

Berki 11, Borostean 50, Jianu 90+3; Pershyn 5, Olteanu, F 34 (og), Nica 56

We follwoed the 1-1 draw in Buzau with a trip to the coastal town of Navodari and our first televised game. The fact the game was televised probably explains the poor attendance but a lot of people missed a cracker of a game. Sageata had been languishing near the foot of the table all season and I think they had come to the conclusion that they weren't going to get away from there without going for it. It's interesting to note that this was the first match since November in which we have conceded more than one goal. It was hard to lose the match in stoppage time, but we've done that to other teams this season so I guess someone decided we needed to know the feeling. I'd rested a few player because we had a busy week of matches so the draw was probably a good result.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 3 - 0 FCM Dunarea Galati; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 1040

Nica 40, 42, 45+3

I bought back in the players I had rested in Navodari for the visit of Dunarea. Kalaba and Rudison Ferreira both dropped out and Alin Nica would have been rested had he not refused, stating he felt fine and wanted to play. I could not have been told more blatantly how right he was to want to. Just before half time he hit a stunning eight minute hat trick that silenced the opposition and left us a stroll of a second half to record our first win in three matches.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 0 - 2 CF Braila; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 1063

Cretu 22, Ilie 52

Moldoveanu sent-off for Braila on 67

This is one of those matches that is best forgotten about. We entertained relegation battlers Braila in a match we really should have won comfortably but ended up losing by two goals. We never really started and couldn't even score after Braila had been reduced to ten men, unfairly I might add. I felt sorry for the 1063 fans who turned up hoping to see another quality display from Alin Nica. He never looked like scoring.

~~~

Juventus Bucharest 3 - 1 Viitorul Constanta; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 993

Dragan 1 (22 secs), 52, Kalaba 45+3 (Pen); Zagrean 67

70 fans stayed away from this one after the shambles that was the Braila game, and I didn't blame them. The die hards were witnesses to a much improved performance though, and a lovely goal from Alin Dragan, that could well be goal of the season, followed up an opener after just 22 seconds. Viitorul gave us a scare late in the game when they piled on the pressure, but we held firm and lifted ourselves a little clear of both the Constantan teams who had been trailing us in the table for a few weeks.

~~~

FC Ceahlaul Piatra Neamt 1 - 4 Juventus Bucharest; Ceahlaul, Piatra Neamt; Att. 1242

Filip 76; Dragan 31, 46, Iordache 53, Apostol 89

I must have bad nerves for I feared the worst from this away trip, despite having thrashed the promotion chasers 6-0 at home in November. We were under severe pressure for the first half an hour and I thought my fears would come true. Ceahlaul's Argentinian striker, Carando, was casuing havoc and it was only luck the kept the scores 0-0. I felt consigned to Ceahlaul gaining revenge for the November thrashing until Alin Dragan opped up with a poachers effort in the 31st minute. From then on there was really only one team in it, and it seemed as if we had broken Ceahlaul's resolve. They mounted a brief fight back but Dan Apostol finished them by slotting home a beautifully worked team goal in the 89th minute. We had shipped ten goals past the promotion chasers and division favourites in two matches and they had only managed to reply once. I made it that that equalled a success despite us only looking like finishing now higher than 5th.

~~~

It had been a busy month of May. We'd had our downer against Braila and finished off in style against a team that everyone believed would play us off the park. There is just one game to go in June and the highest we can finish is 5th. I am considering playing some youngsters but it may be taken a little badly for our opponents are Astra and they still have it all to fight for at the bottom. They had a nice 4-0 win last week, a result that gives them a lot of hope, but I don't want it to be labelled that I'm picking favourites.

CS Otopeni clinched the title on the last match weekend of May and Delta Tulcea beat Chiajna to set up a battle between the two teams on the final weekend of the season. A draw for Chiajna and they'll join Otopeni in the top flight next season. Relegation is still undecided. Dinamo's first team were relegated from the first division so I assume the relegation places depend on where they finish. Of course I'm assuming that a first team and reserve team can not be in the same division, but Snagov would have been relegated by now otherwise.

~~~

Juventus Player of the Month (May 2011): Alin Nica - It was a tough call but I decided to give it to our young striker for his hat trick against Dunarea.

Juventus One to Watch (May 2011): Bogdan Andrei - Much to my displeasure my youth coach doesn't seem to agree with me that Bogdan has a good future ahead of him. It's been up to me to give him run outs in fringe player's friendlies and he made his first team debut against Dunarea. I do believe he has a future ahead of him.

Juventus Goal of the Month (May 2011): It was hard to decide so I put this down as a tie:

Dragan versus Viitorul

[video=youtube;ovJ_B33rbZw]

Apostol versus Ceahlaul

[video=youtube;a6-fwUg-B0w]

June 2011

Before the first match Iosif Melcea joined the team on a free from Muresal Deva of LigaII Group 2. He wasn't happy there so I decided to snap him up as midfield cover for next season. He's a little more attack minded that Rainford Kalaba, so will be a nice surprise to spring on teams next season.

Juventus Bucharest 2 - 0 Astra II Giurgiu; Juventus, Bucharest; Att. 2022

Iordache 53, Dragan 65

It seems someone told me a porkie about Dinamo being relegated from the top league. They hadn't been but Astra's first team were close. Astra still wanted to draw against us to make sure of safety. It would turn out to be a tense final day at the bottom and the top of the division. At the top Delta Tulcea won their final game but Chajna beat already promoted Otopeni to take the second automatic spot. At the bottom Sageata Navodari won a cracking game in which they took the lead four times to win their safety and another year in LigaII. FC Snagov and Gloria Buzau both went down without much of a fight and CF Braila were the unlucky team that replaced Sageata.

Season stats to follow...

Season 2010-11 analysis

Final LigaII Table:

LigaII10-11FINAL.jpg

Romanian Cup: Lost 2-3 to Steaua Bucharest in 6th Round

Team stats:

Juventus10-11STATS.jpg

Manager's Player of the Season: Rainford Kalaba - Eleven goals from midfield is such an achievement and I honestly don't think we would have finished 6th without him. Alin Dragan came close but it's the same story for him as it is our 6th place finish. Many of his goals were down to the brilliance of our Zambia Zuperhero.

Manager's Choice for Juventus Goal of the Season: It was a hard decision but I have to go for the team goal finished with aplomb by our Brazilian, Rudison Ferreira (also won official goal of the season):

[video=youtube;eSF1rVICp40]

Transfers:

Juventus10-11TRANSFERS.jpg

Season 2010-11 Analysis Part 2

Confidence:

AntonNagainConfidence10-11.jpg

Finances: Not good...

Juventus10-11FINANCES.jpg

Official Awards:

Romanian LigaII Group 1 Player of the Year: Rudison Ferreira (Juventus Bucharest)

Romanian LigaII Group 1 Young Player of the Year: Peter Berki (Sageata Navodari)

Romanian LigaII Group 1 Manager of the Year: Tudorel Dumitru (CS Otopeni) - Anton Nagain second

Romanian LigaII Team of the Season: 4 Juventus Bucharest players picked

Romanian LigaII Top Goalscorer: Emil Nanu (Delta Tulcea)

Romanian LigaII Goal of the Year: 1st: Rudison Ferreira - Juventus Bucharest vs. Botosani (see post above - I called it my goal of the season)

Juventus Bucharest Best Eleven

LigaII summary:

LigaII10-11summary.jpg

Overachievers!

Season 2

Pre-Season

Arrivals:

Doru Bratu (loan) from Rapid Bucharest

Alin Ilin (free)

Alexandru Forminte (free)

Departures:

5 fringe players out on frees

Rainford Kalaba (£80k) to Astra 2009

Ion Feleaga (£2.5k) to Muresul Deva

George Calintaru (£250) to ACS Bercemi (fringe striker)

Doru Bratu impressed me last season and as we were short on left backs and struggling to find any quality I decided to invite him back. He accepted and will be almost guaranteed a place. As cover I signed Forminte though he can also fill in in the center.

Rainford Kalaba, my super Zambian, signed for top division Astra for a fee I considered too good to turn down. We're due a big percentage should he ever be sold on too. To replace Kalaba we have Iosif Melcea, who signed at the end of last season, and new signing Alin Ilin. Alin is also an able deputy for Rudison Ferreira on the left. It's a method of mine to sign players who can fill a number of roles. It enables me to have smaller squads and still maintain a false depth...if you like.

Our Pre-season friendlies were a mix of results. Many triallists came and go and many were useful but found themselves pipped to the post by our two signings. I'd made my mind up that I wasn't going to sign too many players but I was disappointed I had to left a young right winger go, a lad who had also been here last season. He was better on the wing and I feel I have enough cover there. Had he been better in the middle of midfield then he may have pipped Ilin.

Friendly results:

Kolubara (Serbian 2nd tier) (H) 0-2

Longeviti (Romanian 4th tier) (A) 6-0

ACU Arad (Romanian 3rd tier) (A) 1-0

Corbeanca (Romanian 4th tier) (H) 0-1

Sageata Navodari (same league as me) (H) 2-0

CS Zlatna (Romanian 3rd tier) (A) 0-1

Universitatea Cluj-Napoca (Romanian LigaII Group 2) (H) 1-2

I go in to the league season quoted as 40-1 for the title and one of the favourites for relegation. We were quoted similar last season, if I rightly recall, but life without Kalaba may make things tougher.

Archived