FM11: AGF - Masochism Inc.

Zinn

Welcome to the FM11 AGF-thread!

agf_logo580.jpg

AGF, or "Aarhus Gymnastikforening of 1880", was founded in 1880 and incorporates all kinds of sports. Football is the most well known part of the club, which turned 130 on the 26th of September 2010. The football department itself, however, was not founded until 1902, although that still makes it one of the oldest clubs around. Historically, AGF is no stranger to medals, as the club has won the Danish championship 5 times (1955, 1956, 1957, 1960 og 1986), been runners-up 8 times (1921, 1923, 1925, 1945, 1964, 1982, 1984, 1996), achieved 3rd place 11 times (1933, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1962, 1978, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1991, 1997) and won the Danish Cup 9 times (1955, 1957, 1960, 1961, 1965, 1987, 1988, 1992, 1996). AGF, despite not having won anything in the last 14 years, is still record holder for the amount of Danish Cup wins and one of the most winning clubs in Danish history. Hard times has befallen the club in recent years, with two relegations in 5 years and lots of problems in the management of the club. Due to all of this, the club has earned the nickname "Galehuset", which translates into "The nuthouse". People from Aarhus are no strangers to a sense of humor, so an unofficial fanclub has taken the name upon itself and humorously notes whenever crazy things happen in both AGF and other clubs, which they often post on their website.

Unfortunately, AGF had earned its second relegation last year, despite having a very good team - including three World Cup players - and being 19 points above relegation after the first 6 months of the tournament. It took a record-breaking amount of points to be relegated (AGF got 38 points) but record or not, it does not change that AGF now plays in the Danish 1st division, instead of the Superliga.

The major rivals of the club, despite what FM claims, is Brøndby IF (BIF), Vejle Boldklub (VB), Viborg FF (VFF), Aalborg Boldspilklub (AaB), Silkeborg IF (SIF) and Randers FC. There are also some minor rivals in local teams like Aarhus Fremad, Viby IF, Brabrand and Skovbakken IF. The reason these are minor rivals is because all of the clubs are semiprofessional at best and thus they do not meet eachother often, outside of pre-season matches.

AGFs real nickname is "De Hvii'e" (with two i's, SI ;) ), which is local dialect for "De Hvide" (The Whites). This is because AGF plays in white jerseys, which are accompanied by blue shorts, pictured in a simple fashion below:

agfjerseycopy.jpg

As manager of the club, it's your job to promote AGF and restore glory to a club that very much deserves it. After all, Aarhus is the second biggest city in Denmark and pretty much everyone in the city has some sort of relation to the club. Promoting AGF shouldn't be much of an issue, however, as most of the squad is intact (they are also cruising to the top IRL, and are as of this writing undefeated for nearly half the season, with 33 points in 13 matches). Speaking of the squad, I strongly suggest promoting all non-loaned players from AGF II to the first team, and here's what you have available to you in FM11:

Goalkeepers: Steffen Rasmussen, Anders Rasmussen

Defenders: Frederik Krabbe (DR, DC), Alexander Jackson Møller (DR, DC), Anders Kure (DC), Mark Howard (DC), Dan Thomassen (DC), Jens Gjesing (DC, DM, MC), Arthur Sorin (DR, WBR), Adam Eckersley (DL, WBL) and Mikkel Kirkeskov (DL, WBL, ML)

Midfielders: Kasper Povlsen (DM, MC), Jerry Lucena (DM, MC), Emil Scheel (DM, MC, AMC), Daniel Jensen (DM, MC, AMC), Benny Feilhaber (MR, ML, MC), Martin Jørgensen (ML, MR, MC, AMR, AML, AMC), Stephan Petersen (MR, ML, AMR, AML), Arón Johansson (MR, ML, AMR, AMR, ST), David Devdariani (ML, MC, AML, AMC) and Casper Sloth (MC, AMC)

Forwards: Peter Graulund (ST), Dennis Høegh (ML, AML, ST) and Sanel Kapidzic (ST).

The biggest problem with AGF is, as usual, the useless money management of the club. In other words, you're paying too many wages and you have a transfer budget of 0. However, your team is so good that no matter who you send away (except Graulund, that man is God), odds are you'll win the division comfortably and gain promotion. Personally, I sold off Stephan Petersen and Benny Feilhaber to save most of my wages and get a little money (still had a budget of 0, though). I also tried selling Dan Thomassen as he's a very big expense in a position with lots of backup, but had no luck.

No matter how many you sell, I suggest playing some manner of 4-4-2, as you have excellent material to do so. If you don't sell anyone, a 4-4-2 could look something like this:

Steffen Rasmussen

Frederik Krabbe/Arthur Sorin - Dan Thomassen - Mark Howard - Adam Eckersley

Benny Feilhaber - Martin Jørgensen - David Devdariani - Stephan Petersen

Sanel Kapidzic - Peter Graulund

Honestly, there are many ways of doing it. Personally, I have two tactics I switch between, looking as such:

XX - XX - XX - XX

XX

XX ------------ XX

XX

XX - XX

XX - XX - XX - XX

XX -- XX -- XX

XX

XX- XX

The top one is my more defensive one and the bottom my more offensive one. The idea is that you keep an extra strong defensive line or an extra strong offensive line, both utilising your superior and wide range of midfielders. I have yet to play a full season but I strongly suggest looking into a striker and backup on the wings. Graulund is an old man at 34 (33 in start of season but he turns 34 quickly) and won't be able to play forever. He'll probably be good enough for one more season if you can afford a new contract, but you seriously need to think about your economy in this game.

More tactics and who to buy/sell is always welcome, as AGF can be tough to manage. I have yet to figure out how they'll do in the top league but they probably need a bit of strengthening.

Finally, I wish any potential managers good luck :D

• 8 months later...

An AGF thread! Wicked!

Big fan.

I personally recommend a 4231 as i don't find Sanel Kapidzic to be of sufficient quality. However, if playing with an updated game (as i am) you have Søren Larsen and Peter Graulund as a potential duo. Devdariani can do well up top too.

Currently i have two formations, the 442 and the 4231. They would look like this with all players ready:

442:

Staff

Sorin(weak position)-Håland-Howard-Eckersley

Berg-Hjalte-Martin Jørgensen-Stephan Petersen

Larsen-Graulund

This leaves Devdariani, Kasper Povlsen, Jerry Lucena as excellent backups. I hate leaving Davit Devdariani out as i find him to be magnificent.

4231:

Staff

Sorin-Håland-Howard-Eckersley

Hjalte-M. Jørgensen

Berg-Devdariani-Petersen

Larsen/Graulund (depends on what type of game you want to play)

Atm i can only tell you that the wage budget is exceeded, there is no money to purchase players and if you play with an updated game they have a balance of around minus 40 million DKR (5,37 EUR or 4,68 GBP).

I can also tell you that IRL they have gotten promoted and have started the season getting 4 points in 3 games, including a draw at home against the 2nd best team in the league, OB.

They have been missed in the best league as is shown by the fact that they are the most watched team in the league, in terms of spectators on the stadium through the first 3 games.

Good start zinn , I used to be a season ticket holder but not anymore still support them ofcourse .

AGF is a club ewerybody have an opinion on in denmark , you either love or hate them . The club have like already mention a wery bad economy , so you have to sell some players to get youre wage budget under control .

I would sell Failhaber , Gjesing , Lucena and maybe Petersen ( underrated in the game imo ) .

I will give Sloth and Kapidzic as much game time as possible .

Dont sign anyone you cant afford any anyway .

I would also shift betveen 442 and 4231 , its easy to get promoted

As for Stephan Petersen, he has been a beast for me and his wages aren't really that big. He has been good as a left wing/left midfielder and an absolute beast on the right, where his out and out wing play can almost be unstoppable. Good in the counter-attacks particularly. Though i agree his stats are underrated compared to how fantastic he is IRL.

I wouldn't sell Lucena neither. I know his wages are somewhat high, but he is such a dependable player, whether a central midfielder, right midfielder, left midfielder, right or left back, defensive midfielder - he always does a good job. Perhaps do as IRL and retrain him as right back, then sell Sorin. I agree on Gjesing, get him out.

Kapidzic is good in the game, but not really any good IRL, but yeah, give him game time, he can develop well in FM.

Sloth is a great prospect, FM aswell as IRL.

And agreed on the not signing anyone you can't afford. Keep wages down, sign players for free or for a very small transfer fee and use the good talent in the club already.

One recommendation is Pablo Ricchetti (last name may be spelled a little differently) - from Argentina. Can play very well as right back, midfielder and has good experience, comes for free at a fair wage. Really fits nicely into the squad in terms of weak positions, especially if you sell Sorin and/or Lucena.

Ok grande92 I didnt sell Petersen this time and I have to admit he is actually better than his stats says , i mean 7 in stamina 10 in crossing ??? The reason i used to sell him was because of those stats and that there was clubs interested .

But Lucena i will sell when i get a decent offer , his simple to slow to play RB in my opinion and i have to manny CMs , i forgot Kasper Povlsen before i like him lots of potential .

Pablo Ricchetti i dont have him in my game , how manny leagues do you load actually ?

Archived