Goalkeeper stats

Is it just me that finds the keepers stats in the game completely unrealistic?

I mean Im a keeper myself and some of the things I see dont make sense to me. For example Ive a keeper on my game with brilliant decision making, but terrible rushing out with decent one on ones.

Thats just wrong. I mean the only thing that defines whether a keeper is good at rushing out is their decision making. If the ball is played past the defence and a striker is chasing it, the keeper has to make an immediate decision whether to come out or not. After they make this decision the only attribute that matters is pace/acceleration which defines how quickly they will get to the ball. Their pace should influence their decision as well because everyone knows how quick/slow they are. For example someone with 20 decision making and 1 pace should still win the race to the ball if they come for it, because they are only gonna come out if they're fairly sure they can get to the ball, they'll just come out less often because they will know if they dont have the pace to get to the ball first.

One on ones now, I dont understand this at all. What does it mean on the game? If I have a keeper with excellent rushing out but terrible one on ones are they gonna come out to close the striker down, get to the ball then jump out of the way?! A keepers ability to save one on one shots is completely reliant on how quickly they close the striker down. Basically rushing out. Or decision making. If a striker is clear on goal again its all down to the keeper making a decision to come out and close them down. The sooner they make this decision, then the more chance they have of saving the shot, because the sooner they make the decision the closer they get to the ball and the more the angle is closed down. Possibly reflexes should then come into it, but 9 times out of 10 the shots from too close to actually react to it, its more down to just making yourself big and hoping for the best, and every keeper does that.

I understand reflexes and shot stopping being seperate attributes, because personally I have pretty good reflexes (several times I have saved point blank shots I have no business saving) but Im not that great at shot stopping so Im more prone to let in long range shots.

What about aerial ability or tendancy to punch? I cant figure it out. Does a keeper with high aerial ability come out for crosses more? Obviously tendancy to punch is how often they punch the ball away rather than catching it. But what defines how often they come for the ball? Or how well? I know keepers who come for everything but quite often end up completely misjudging the flight of the ball and either being beaten to it by a striker or watch it fly over their heads. When they do get to the ball they catch it, almost never punching it. Myself I catch the ball as often as I can, on occasion when Ive slipped or misjudged something and barely made it Ill swing my arm at the ball and punch it away. So is aerial ability how well they claim the ball when they do come out? Or does it define how often they come out? Or how often they make the right decision to come out? Then what about handling? What does it mean if a keeper has high handling, low aerial ability and high tendancy to punch? All these are completely seperate things and I dont understand them

What is command of area? Is that how well they call for the ball when it comes in? Again dont all keepers do this? Really quality keepers command their area by consistently claiming the ball, and not making many mistakes. So the defenders trust them. If keepers are always coming out to catch the ball and missing it then defenders are more prone to not listen to them when they call. Sometimes if really low on confidence a keeper might not call when they usually would, possibly leading to a mistake. But again this means that all their other attributes should define how well they "command their area". If my keeper is consistently getting low ratings and making mistakes but has a command of area as 20 what does that mean? Again with communication as well, I dont get how these two are seperate. Communication is important for a keeper, but the command of area shouldnt be there because this relies soley on external factors like form and consistency and confidence.

Also keepers need a "penalty saving" attribute which would obviously be linked to their shot stopping - NOT reflexes. The reserve keeper in my team is hopeless at penalties, he looks at it as your not expected to save it, so just guess a way to dive and hope for the best. I look at it differently, you can tell 80-90% of the time which way a player is going to shoot based on their run up, the position of their standing foot and the way their hitting the ball (side foot or laces - laces is more unpredictable, side foot is easy to tell). So far this season Ive had 5 penalties against me, Ive "guessed" the right way for all of them, and Ive saved 2 (should have been more, but like I said my shot stopping is not great)

Finally what does eccentricity mean in the game? Whats the difference between a keeper with high eccentricity compared to low?

Really sorry how long this is, especially as its probably all irrelevent anyway!

Ive a keeper on my game with brilliant decision making, but terrible rushing out with decent one on ones.

Thats just wrong. I mean the only thing that defines whether a keeper is good at rushing out is their decision making.

Decisions is a pretty much universal attribute, though it's more helpful for players playing in the middle (DC, MC etc.)

Rushing Out isn't how good the keeper is at doing it, it's a rating of how often he rushes out. The higher the number, the more he does it.

One on Ones is just that, but not the same as rushing. I'd need to see GK attributes again in case I missed one but, if I remember right, Rushing Out is the one to do with collecting/punching out crosses/corners, not necessarily just narrowing the angle in one-on-ones.

Pace/acceleration is the speed of the player, rushing out has nothing to do with that.

Tendency to Punch is another crossing/corner one. The higher the number, the more he'll punch rather than risk trying to catch it.

Aerial Ability is annoying because I had this answered to me in a scout report. I think it's just a rating of how WELL he gets up and challenges for the ball in crosses and corners. So if a player has high Rushing Out and Tendency to Punch, but low Aerial Ability (and perhaps some high Eccentricity too)...you're gonna have fun with him in goal.

Command of Area I don't know about.

Eccentricity is how 'eccentric' he is. Those with a high rating do crazy things and are perhaps more prone to mistakes. Think of Barthez or Higuita, always leaving their area, dribbling the ball etc.

Don't forget things like Positioning, Balance and Agility are important too. I figured this out when I noticed many keepers ahving very high numbers in those categories.

Archived