Doing great in cups, really bad in league...advice?

Having won the FA Cup and finished 3rd with Newcastle in my second season, I have had a terrible first half to my third season, down in 15th and can't find a win in the EPL. The weird thing is, we are in the semi-finals of the League Cup, and we are in the knockout stages of the Champions League, having won our group by by beating Real Madrid and Porto. I've tried all kinds of different tactics in the EPL with no luck. I even went on holiday for a few EPL matches - didn't do too bad, I think we won, drew and lost or something. Anyone got any idea how I can turn things around in the league?

You should completely change tactics for a few weeks, change to st dazzle's 4-5-1 or bugel433 for 5 or 6 games and then go back to what you have been playing and it should freshen things up a little.

Only other thing I can think of is that you might have too many young players in your team that you have replaced more experienced guys with?

I've found that if you are in the epl and have a lot of 17-21 year olds you are always really inconsistent.

There is a reasonable mix of old and young players, neither of which are doing very well. I don't like to use other people's tactics, and prefer to use my own (for better or for worse). It may be that I have too many players (around 34). I have just sold a few and I'm trying to sell some more so I don't know if that might help. Of course now some of the players have become unhappy saying things like they hope the club can hold onto it's stars in the future, even though the players weren't that good and things needed shaking up a bit. It's very annoying, at this rate I could win 2 or 3 cups and still get sacked!

I don't know...my tactics were fine in the league last season finishing 3rd. And normally I do well in the league and badly in the cups.

It can be a very frustrating game...especially when you support the team you are managing and want them to do well!

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was one of the strangest seasons I've ever had in FMH. We reached the League Cup final, did pretty well in the knockout stages of the European Cup, and did ok in the FA Cup. But in the league it was a relegation battle, and no system seemed to be working for me. so I eventually gave up and started going on holiday for the last 5 EPL fixtures or so, letting the assistant manager choose the team (but I notice you can't let him choose the formation or tactics - maybe in a future version?). I ended up finishing 16th, with the board switching between being Satisfied and Disappointed, and the Chairman declaring his satisfaction at the team avoiding relegation, despite the fact that we finished 3rd the season before! I hope they can incorporate some of the assistant manager comments you get during matches from FH 09 in a future version of FMH, because sometimes it's infuriating not knowing what's going wrong and how to fix it. After all that I think I need a long holiday from Newcastle, so I'm off to start a new game with a lower league team!

Well usually I can get into a situation where I can rely on one (or possibly two) formations which will work for both league matches and cup matches. But this season it didn't seem to matter what I did in the league I would keep on losing or drawing, with lots of bad performances all round. And whatever I did (within reason) in the cup matches I would get the good performances which I would normally expect from the players. In the league I tried changing tactics mid-match, tried sticking with the same tactics for a whole match, and even tried sticking with the same tactics for a few matches, but nothing worked. I don't know, maybe it was bad luck in the league, but the difference seemed pretty extreme to me. I'm thinking that in FMH 09 the director's happiness level must take cup success into account, otherwise I would have been sacked for sure!

Archived