The true cost of running Reserve & U18 squads

Having now passed my first end of season I was offered the "option" of having Reserve / U18 squads. I like to give the stiffs & kids a run out so have said yes to both leagues - but I was thinking, why not say "yes"? Unless there is a hidden cost (which should be shown as a per week sum when the question is asked) then having those leagues running can only be a plus?

Even without the leagues I would arrange weekly friendlies as I value the match fitness thing that highly. Any thoughts / insights in to this, guys (maybe SI could comment?)

Having now passed my first end of season I was offered the "option" of having Reserve / U18 squads. I like to give the stiffs & kids a run out so have said yes to both leagues - but I was thinking, why not say "yes"? Unless there is a hidden cost (which should be shown as a per week sum when the question is asked) then having those leagues running can only be a plus?

Even without the leagues I would arrange weekly friendlies as I value the match fitness thing that highly. Any thoughts / insights in to this, guys (maybe SI could comment?)

I can only give an opinion, as I don't know figures etc, but if there are any match fees I'm sure they'd be equalised out with gate reciepts. I have definatly never struggled financial as a result of having and managing youth and reserve teams, indeed my U18's have produced a number of memorable results in the U18 cup.

Cheers

Onkster

My only costs are the yearly crop of useless regens that my youth system produces. 100 per week for a player with no potential. And I can't get rid of him without paying a huge fee? Super.

I wish you could shut down your youth system until you are able to upgrade it to a point where it is worthwhile. As it is, for many lower league managers it is simply money down the drain.

Archived