Finally sacked....

..for applying for other jobs! And I thought you could safely ignore the warnings!

I did a season and a half at Charlton, got them to the Premier League then resigned after a string of defeats being replaced by Alan Curbishley. I then took over at Colchester United who were 22nd in League One. Guided them up to 17th, the board had expected promotion that season (?!) I was a bit annoyed with their demands seeing as I only took over the team in January and they were in a pretty bad position. I decided to apply for jobs at Atlanta (just relegated) and Toronto FC (bottom of MLS) at the end of season in quick succession. Then I got sacked!

And I didn't get either job :o

Is this actually common practice? I doubt your current team would actually know about your application unless the hiring team communicates it to them. Is it something that is an unwritten agreement between teams? Or is it just something in the game that has no serious basis in real life?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any managers that have been sacked for applying for other jobs IRL. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors...

Also, in game, I've applied for jobs in the past and got warning messages but have never actually been sacked for it.

Archived