Youth players

In FM09 i would like to see AI teams appraoch and bid for youth players more e.g. players in the under 18s , as this has been lacking in previous FMs , even though it regularly happens IRL , such as premier clubs buying 16 year olds from Football League teams .

Anyone agree ?

Yes. Players all round should be easier to sell. If you have players in a team maybe 1 or 2 wouldn't sell but all of them is impossible. You usually end up giving them frees only to see them having signed for a club afterwards. Those clubs should've approached you for them while they were under contract even if the offer they made was unrealistic.

definitely agree. hopefully this will be improved in 09, as it was a big problem imo. there was a big discussion about this, i believe in a different forum though.. if i can find it, ill sort some linkage out... basically it boiled down to the fact that the AI dont value their youger players as highly as we do. therefore, it was relatively easy to pinch youngsters with high pa's from their clubs. also explains why, when you get reasonably far into the future, a lot of the AI teams are in financial troubles, and the human teams find it very easy to make money.

one of the first things i do when i start a new game, is identify transfer targets, and get them all signed up, regardless of whether theyre going straight into my first team, or whether theyre buys for the future. i have never seen the AI managers react to my transfer bids and offer said players a new contract to keep them at the club, or come and sign them for other teams. its very very easy (when managing a big team anyways) to assemble a squad of potential world-class players right at the start of the game. i can afford to sign players i know wont be good enough for my team, but that i know the AI will want, as i know that they'll pay good money for them.

as i said, i hope this has been improved, as it would make things more realistic, and would also increase the difficulty of the game...

Archived