Race For Europe

RaceForEurope.jpg

Hello and Welcome to the Race For Europe thread. This is the first addition in what I hope will be many seasons of the thread but first and foremost we will have to see if this is successful before we can guarantee anything yet.

One thing I can guarantee is lots of thrills and spills along the way and good banter which is the most important thing. There maybe times where arguments happen due to results and pressure of being a football manager but whatever the outcome it will be exciting and a roller-coaster ride you will want to hold on tight to until the bitter end.

We have six leagues loaded they are –

England – The Barclays Premiership and Coca Cola Championship

Spain – La Liga and Liga BBVA

Italy – Serie A and Serie B

We have 6 members of the clan. The Teams and Managers in the clan are the following: -

AstonVilla.jpg

ManchesterCity.jpg

Middlesbrough.jpg

Days/Times

Tuesday - 6pm - 10pm

Friday - 8.30pm – 11.30pm

Sunday - 1pm - 6pm

Rules

1) Not allowed to be any top 4 clubs

2) No using FM Scout or cheat machines

3) Committed players only of 18+

4) If you can't make a session, an e-mail in advance would be useful.

5) Start with automatic reputation

6) You MUST have Hamachi and 8.0.2. Patch

7) No Resigning

8) All members of Race For Europe must keep forum posted weekly.

9) No unsettling other Manager's players when you're not actually interested in buying the player

10) Use Msn to chat during times, banter is fine, but NO foul insults, so keep it a friendly game

11) If you have a problem with any of the rules, speak to me, don't go whinging about it.

12) No using Corner cheat

13) Email Me if you wish to join the clan of which you will be put on a waiting list and if or when someone decides to leave the first person on the waiting list will take there place.

Hope you all enjoy this thread and I hope to keep u posted as and when we go.

AstonVilla.jpg

WELCOME!

To the very first edition of "The Villans Times", there's no point in wasting your time or my own, so on to business. For regular readers this will already be known, for those new to the paper i'm Matthew Fulerton, life long Villa fan and chief reporter on all things Villa-related. Over the next nine months i'll be updating, guiding and reviewing the season ahead here in the claret and blue half of Birmingham.

O'Neil Departs!

In a cloud of mystery and rumor Martin O'Neil walked away from Aston Villa after 5 games, no one can confirm his reasoning so we here at "The Villans Times" would like to wish Mr Martin O'Neil all the best in his future endevours.

A New Era Sweeps In...

Given the sudden depature of O'Neil is comes as somewhat of a suprise to see Randy Lerner appoint someone almost straight away, what comes as an even bigger suprise is the new manager is a relative unkown to most outside the game, Aston Villa's new coach is Scottish manager Gordon Macari, a former semi-proffesional footballer in the lower Scottish Leagues. Despite his medicore playing career Macari has gained himself a growing reputation as one of the UK's brightest coaching prospects. After having learning stints at Albion Rovers, Clydebank & Partick Thistle Macari was given a under '21 position at Glasgow Rangers, having a leading hand in the development of many of Rangers young Scottish players who have broken into the first team set up at Ibrox.

After several years as head of youth at Ibrox, Macari took a big step and crossed the great Glasgow divide and joined Celtic as a first team coach, Macari gained a lot of expericence both domestic and european. Many of the clubs players citing Macari as having a huge influence on there evolution. Only a couple of months ago Macari walked away from Celtic claiming he wanted to take that next step in his career and try his hand at managing a club himself....i bet he didn't think his first job in football would be quite as big, or take the path it has.

Macari's First Week

You know, i don't kow exactly what was said between Lerner & Macari as it comes to his first few days in charge but Macari took over on the 26th of August, only 5 days before the transfer deadline. With O'Neil having already spent £13.5m on two defenders :

104396.jpg

&

460169_mediumsquare.jpg

I was able to get an interview recently with our new manager and i'll use certain exploits through out this article to explain relevent sections. Here's what the new man in charge has to tell us about his first few days leading upto the deadline and gives us an insight into his potential targets....

Matthew Fulerton : So Gordon, how did you find those first few days?

Gordon Macari : Well Matty, can i call you Matty?

Matthew Fulerton : Yeah sure.

Gordon Macari : Good, good.

Gordon Macari : After i sat down with Mr.Lerner it was made very clear that there would be no funds for me before the dealine, i didn't expect any as i was aware of the signings Martin had made before i got here. It wasn't an issue either as the squad here at Villa is up there with the best in Premiership.

Matthew Fulerton : Didn't you have the desire to stamp your own mark on the team? Or bring in players of your own?

Gordon Macari : To an extent, i knew there where some area's of the team that perhaps needed adding too or strengthend, with John Carew suffering a long term injury i targeted a striker and i was aware we had an issue in the right back position.

Matthew Fulerton : Yeah the right back spot has been a problem for the last couple of managers, can you tell us who you had in mind for those two positions?

Gordon Macari : Well it's no secret that i had to deals in place with Chelsea before the deadline, i had agreed to take Claudio Pizzaro & Paulo Ferreria on loan untill the end of the season, but the FA didn't get back to me in time and the deals had to be cancelled.

Matthew Fulerton : There was a rumor around the area that you had lined up Alan Smith to come to Villa, any truth to that?

Gordon Macari : Absoultly, Alan is a player i admire very much, he's a Rangers man like me and i've met him several times, i was made aware of his avalibility on my second day and contacted Newcastle manager Mark Hewitt about striking up a deal, again, due to time constraints, the deal couldn't go through.

Matthew Fulerton : Will you be rekindling you interest when the next window opens?

Gordon Macari : At the moment i can't say, if not in January, funds permitting, i will definetly be doing my upmost to bring Alan to Villa Park come the summer. I think he'd be a great addition.

Macari's new look side went on a 15 game unbeaten run at the beginning of the season, gaining some truely impresive results, beating Machester United 2-1 at Old Trafford with 9 men & following that up by beating Chelsea 4-0 away at Stamford Bridge, which took the league, fans and pundits alike by suprise. His new formation and suprising line ups was a fresh change for the Villa faithful, starting with Marlon Harewood leading the line alone racking up and impressive 8 goals in as many games, the Macari era was in full swing.

He also advanced in the Carling Cup with some solid performances and scalps.

This bring us to December, and with the transfer window right around the corner and the rumblings that Macari will be given £5m pounds to play with in the transfer market it will be interesting to see what our new Messiah can do with the dosh. Remeber to pick up the new issue soon as we'll have every covered for you Villa-fix.

Prepaired.

Matthew Fullerton.

Sunderland.jpg

As Sunderland boss I had cash. And I needed that cash for a side that needed improving.

dean_ashton.jpg

I made a great 5.5m signing of west ham's Dean Ashton

Nicluae_Dica.jpg

I also managed to sign Niculae Dica for a fee of 3.5m.

Geovanni.jpg

I felt I had a bargain with Geovanni from M City for just 1.5m.

Before the window closed I managed to secure Luiz Jimenez who would come next season for 2.5m. I also signed young Liviu Ganea for 300k and Defender Dickson Choto for a mere 975k to cover our defense which didn't look strong.

Middlesbrough.jpg

After opting for a Mid-Table Finish i realised that the current squad may need some strengthening in order to fulfill that target.

However, this would prove to be more of a difficult task than i would have liked due to the board only allowing me 6.5m in transfer funds and would not be persuaded on the matter.

So i set out to make some signings to strengthen the squad.

My first signing of the Season was Romanian international Keeper Danut Coman

danut_comann.jpg

Some Defenders were then signed being Matt Hill from Preston and Hossein Kaebi from Leicester.

Hossein_Kaebi_557349.jpg

in a double swoop i then signed Sun Jihai and Nicky Butt from Newcastle

NickyButt_591651.jpg

With the start of the season closing in i realise that i was still in need of some strikers. Unfortunately there is not much left on the transfer budget now so i decide to put my hopes on the likes of Afonso Alves, Jérémie Aliadière and Mido.

However i manage to sign Billy Sharp on loan until the end of the season.

NewcastleUnited.jpg

July 2008 Sky Sports News BREAKING NEWS Kevin Keegan has resigned as Newcastle Manager with immediate effect, it is thought that board room unrest with the club owner Mike Ashley not providing enough funds for transfers and the appointment of Dennis Wise as chief scout for players is the main Break Down in the reason for Keegan steeping down. The Question is with 4 managers now in as many years who will be the next man through the revolving door to pick this disheartened clubs fans and players up and bring stability to this troubled club.

July 7th 2008 Sky Sports News after much speculation about Kevin Keegan’s successor at St James’ Park we understand that Mark Hewitt is the unexpected new man to take over. With no top flight managerial experience having been a player in the lower leagues with Carlisle United until his career was cut short through injury at the tender age of 21, he has worked as Youth Team coach for the last 7 years bringing players through to the first team and therefore helping Carlisle get promoted from the Conference up to League 1 and then just missing out on promotion to The Championship last season. It remains to be scene how he will handle the step up and how he will cope with his first high profile job and the high profile players at the club.

Sky sports caught up with some fans opinions on this ‘shock’ appointment. ‘Who is he like’ one fan said another said ‘I am still in shock with King Kev’s departure’. With most of the fans remaining uncertain with what the future lies for the club and thinking it will be yet another disappointing season only time will tell how the new manager does.

News Conference

11am July 8th 2008 Sky Sports News ‘we can now cross live to St James’ Park where we wait the arrival of Mark Hewitt’

Mike Ashley and Mark Hewitt walk into the room with smiles on both faces they shake hands and pose for photographers pictures.

Georgia Thompson (Sky Sports News): Hello Mark, the fans have questioned your appointment, do you think you can turn there opinions around?

Mark Hewitt: Hello, first and foremost I would like to say its great to be here I have supported this club all my life and it is a dream to have the chance to manage them, to answer your question I understand the fans views I have spent most of my time in the lower leagues with Carlisle’s youth team so it will be a massive test for me but its one I am looking forward to and as I said I am from Newcastle I know what the club means to the people and I have stood on the terraces at St James’ Park, I know what the fans want the type of football they like to see and I hope I can bring the kind of football they love and with that bring the right results.

David (The Sun) : Kevin Keegan we believe left because of a lack of funds available in the transfer market will that be an issue for you?

Mark Hewitt: I am not going to comment on what happened in the past I am just looking forward to getting on the training ground working with the players at my disposal and if and when I think we will need a player I will sit down with the owner and discuss what funds will be available.

Liam (Look North): Do you have any targets for the season ahead?

Mark Hewitt: I think I have a good group of lads and I think if we can get the performances right and the kind of football I know the fans will love I am sure there will be many exciting times ahead for the Geordie faithful.

Thank you for all your questions we will now take photos on the pitch.

Transfers

After getting a grip of his Newcastle Squad Mark Hewitt has chosen to dip into the transfer market and strengthen his side with quite a few new faces to give them strength in depth.

Some of the main faces coming into St James’ Park were

Rafael Van der vaart

vander-vaart-rafael.jpg

Naldo

Naldo.jpg

Matias Fernandez

MatiasFernandez.jpg

The other transfers that have been made are

NewcastleTransfers2007-2008page1.jpg

NewcastleTransfers2007-2008page2.jpg

Mark Hewitt’s New look side after a shaky start went on a 17 match unbeaten run which saw the move into the European spots at the half way stage of the season.

He also has managed to guide his side to the Carling Cup Semis until they got knocked out to Aston Villa on away goals, however Newcastle are still going strong in the FA Cup and the premiership he seems the new look Newcastle are blending well together and hopefully they can keep up this good run of form.

ManchesterCitycopy.jpg

Well i decided to be man city for the first time ever on FM and i ended up having a very decent season at the start of the season i said to the board that i would achive a mid table finish and the replied by giving me £45 million to spend after missin a few hours of the first session i came back just after the first game which i won at the time but had made no new signing at this time so i started panic buying however i had a decent scored and just really topped my attacking options managed to get the likes of Arsharvin and farfan in before the first transfer window along with David Bentley all 3 combined cost me around about 21million at the time and only really made about 5mil in transfers by selling players so at this time i was down to about 28million then the signing of the season in my opinion came when i signed Hunterlaar for 15mil and he repaid that by banging in about 40 goals in so many matches.

Before the next transfer windw came in january i was lying in about 6 or 7th spot and while i was scoring plenty including a 6-1 win over chelsea i was also letting plenty in with the likes of a 4-4 draw with Arsenal so i decided to bring in a couple of defenders in Fazio from Sevilla and Obama who as it turned out in Obamas case he did not get a came all season and is now about to be sold for about 1.4mil when i paid 625k at the time i also bought in Anita from Ajax for 100k for the future.

So getting towards the end of the season me and mac and man utd and chelsea was fighting it out for the last 3 of 4 places for the champions league as arsenal were already champions with 3 games to go i needed 2 wins from the 3 games got 1 straight away at everton but then lost my last 2 but it did not matter as Chelsea slipped and i managed to get the 4th place.

i scored the most goals in the prem that year with my front 4 chipping in with about 72 goals out of about 94 with elano scoring 14 of those, i only mention Elano as i have just agreed to sell him to Barca for £25 MILLION which was a bit to good to turn down. Also mark and newcastle are trying to buy Richards and Hunterlaar richards for 32.5mil which i turned down and Hunterlaar for £26 mil i also turned this down and will not sell at all.

So lets hope for the same again next season and a good European run.

As the host Mark Hewitt is having 'technical difficulties' (so he says), I'm going to post screenies of how last season went:

PremiershipTableinJanuary.jpg

Well thi time it looks like Mac' Villa an Matt's Man City are on course for champions league spots, with their sides doing brilliantly. Mark and Newcastle are currently looking ike the UEFA spots will be theres. Jonesy is currently doing ok in mid-table with Portsmouth. I wasn't actually here at this point as I ws on holidy during the season but my Sunderland side were doing decently in 10th.

ChampionshipTableinFebruary.jpg

After being defeated by newcastle a Middlesbrough boss, the sack was give to Rowan who was then given the Southampton job making him our only Championship manager, and Rowan is sitting in 16th currently but there is still a chance of relegation for Southampton.

FinalChampionshipTable07-08.jpg

So ater being sacked as Mddlesbrough boss, Rowan and Southmapton ended up with a decent season finishing in 12th and next season will hope to build on that and challenge for the play-offs.

FinalTable07-08.jpg

So Matt and Mac both had seasons to remember as their sides both got into the champions league. Huntelaar being the driving force behind Man City's achievement as he got the top scorer award. Mark's Newcastle had a good season as well as they got into Europe, he'll be hoping to challenge the top next season if he can. Adam's (my) and Jonesy's Sunderland and Portsmouth both came mid-table and will want to be top half next season if they can get the good players in and the tactics working.

*Jonesy left the clan

* Daryl joined the clan

Archived