Struggling against bottom teams?!

I'm really struggling with bottom and mid table teams. I've lost twice to Swansea, drew home to Norwich, lost to villa, west brim, qpr, fulham and Blackburn. Its not as if I just get beaten either, they whoop me, passing it around like I'm not there! They have all beaten me 1,2 or 3 nil.

I hav beaten all the top clubs (I'm arsenal) including Chelsea twice. But I just get these games come up where my team don't turn up. All the tricks I try when I go a couple of goals down don't work either.

Any ideas for team talks or tactics before playing bottom teams?

There are 2 approaches that I find useful, even though they are almost opposite.

The first is a very aggressive, fast-paced, direct style with lots of pressing... basically, fast tempo, counter attacking (even if you are using "attacking" tactics).

The second is a slower, short passing, possession type game designed to create a few chances, but of extremely high quality (this is a lot closer to RL Arsenal).

And, unlike M Wenger, you need to be prepared to switch to the first if the second doesn't work.

As for team talks, I have found to "I expect a win" to be completely destructive of any chance of winning, even if the body language response is positive. I would go with relax, play your game and the result will come, which works for my (very professional) squad. Your results may vary.

Archived