goal chance ratio

What's the secret of this game.

I have played for days with mid-table teams (ex. Blackburn) and it ends up each and every time the same way. I create tactics that make my team dominate games but not winning enough matches. It always end up that I kill the game (fed up by 7 games in a row where I create 16 chances against 6 or so, but not winning). I tried all ,kinds of tactics (counter - fast, slow - short passing, wingers, inside forwards, long shots, no long shots, ...). But always the same thing. Finally, my ratio's are not that bad, as if I win, I often score 3 or 4 goals. But I stay mid-tabel, as I almost never win a close game, and lose tons of points in games that I dominate.

I once played Arsenal, and didn't have the problem. But with Blackburn, Newcastle, Sunderland, ... always!

Is this game compensating to keep teams on "realistic" results? Anybody els this problem. Or not at all?

There's no secret to the game. Or, more accurately, there are many secrets to the game. It's hard to tell from the information you've given but there are many possible explanations for why you're not winning. Perhaps your match preparation is poor -- if you're constantly changing tactics, the team won't settle into a rhythm. Perhaps team morale is low. Maybe your individual player instructions conflict with one another. Also, possession is not everything, it's what you do with it. If you're keeping the ball well but not creating quality chances, you will lose games. Review the tactical analysis screens after each game -- you'll find lots of information that may point you to solutions to multiple problems. Remember, FM is not a sprint, it's a marathon. And finally, there's no "compensation" in the game to force you to a seventh-place finish.

It's usually due to the quality of chances. IRL teams like Blackburn, Sunderland and Villa create loads but put few away. Leeds have had that problem for the past four games in a row too. In my experience it's either a lot of new players in the team or low confidence. Not sure of the all-encompassing answer, but perhaps slow the tempo a little, use "work ball into box" shouts if you haven't already. It will lead to fewer chances but better conversion. Usually.

Archived