'Board Philosophies'

I actually posted this in another thread but felt it is also deserving of its own thread, as it is quite a different idea or interpretation of his.

That thread can be found here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/284171-A-longwinded-explanation-of-an-idea-for-board-interaction-you-have-been-warned

Imagine you go into a new job application whilst at another club, you discuss with the board but can't come to an agreement that matches both your expectations of the club and you don't receive the job. Your current club finds out about this talk and then also sacks you, leaving you jobless.

It would also be a great way to outline your philosophy for the club and if the club agree with this, they will provide suitable funds in doing so. For example you go to a club and tell them your looking to build up from youth and will focus all your efforts on signing and producing youth. However, your ambitious board wants instant results and will not agree with your philosopy - contract talks break down.

Other philosophies could include;

- 'I want to reap instant success and hope that you will provide me with the right funds to achieve this.' BOARD EXPECTS RESULTS.

- 'I need time to work my round this club and see what I've got to work with.' SOME BOARDS WILL AGREE, OTHERS WILL BE DISAPPOINTED WITH YOUR LACK OF PHILOSOPY.

- 'I want to use the great facilities here and will be looking to producing my own youth.' BOARD MAY LIKE HG PLAYERS, OTHER BOARDS WANT SUCCESS.

- 'I am willing to adapt my style of management to whatever philosophy you have in mind.' BOARD SUGGESTS A PHILOSOPHY BASED ON FACILITIES, FUNDS ETC. IT'S HARDER TO SACK YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO BY THE BOARD. THESE TYPE OF BOARDS MAY INTERFERE WITH TRANSFERS.

Discuss...

I should probably explain it more.

When you apply for a new job you will be interviewed by the board and they will ask you the philosophy for your club. You'll then decide what your response to that will be and the board will respond according to their philosophy, bank balance, club stature etc.

I have seen a similar idea quite a few times. The idea of an interview forming part of application is a good one, but the way you see it happening just doesnt really do anything for me. This isnt an idea which I think really adds anything on top of the original idea to have jon interviews. How many boards really have 'philosophies' beyond being successful? very few I suspect. I dont doubt there are some, but not so many that it is worthwhile pursuing this.

Archived