Movement at loose ball

Ok, this has bugged me for several years of FM now.

When there is a wild clearance and the ball lands near one of the attaking teams players (like 5 yards away) and the nearest defender is 10-15 yards away.

The attacking player walks slowly towards the ball and give the defender time to close him down before he even gets the ball. When he gets the ball he speeds up (unless the defender takes the ball).

While if he ran from the get go he would have all the time in the world to control the ball. I think it has to do with the engine thinking the defending team is now in possesion and the player from the attacking team just want to position himself to close down/defend.

I'm sorry my english isn't good enough to really explain it, but everyone must have seen this hundreds of times. Ball is cleared from the box out on the wing and the attacker doesn't run onto the ball, but rather walk slowly while the defender run fast to close him down and they reach the ball at the same time even though the distance to the ball was twice as long or even 3 times as long for the defender.

Not posting this in bugs coz its been like this for several years and must be known to SI, but I do want an explaination on why it is like that.

It isn't a bug, it is the Display Engine (don't know its correct name, so that is what I call it!) not being able to show exactly what the Match Engine (the thing that calculates what happens) had as the outcome.

So the Match Engine has figured that the defender is close to the attacker when he gets the ball, so the Display Engine has to slow the attacker down to ensure that what the Match Engine says will happen, does happen.

Archived