How I decided on my Journeyman challenge...

With every new release the same question pops up: what team shall I manage? Usually I end up managing the same team (my hometown team) but now I wanted something different. Not having a "connection" with many other teams, I decided to "create" such a connection. Now some know the Llama called Frank who helped in choosing the lowest league team to manage, but I want a full carreer stippled out.

What I basically did was create myself as a player in FM11, using a random number generator to give me the values of the hidden attributes as well for CA and PA. Then I had the generator generate a number between 1 and 11 which would indicate my natural position on the pitch. I used a similar system for PPM (generate number between 1 and 10 for each PPM, but only the 10's were the PPM's set so there weren't too many)

The result was me being a central midfielder, adept as attacking midfielder too. I then put myself as a 15-year old in my hometown team (Belgian provincial) and decided to take the 2010-2011 season as a 1990-1991 season (turning back 20 years so I normally retire somewhere between 2008-2011). The clue was to follow my career as a player and mirror the journeyman managing career to this one. Even further so, to try and replicate the achievements made by those teams while I was there as a player, except for the first team as it's unplayable. After 1 year I went to Standard Liege, a first division team. Stayed there for one season and they became champions. I was 16 and noticed they didn't put me in the youth or reserve team so I only played 1 match in a whole season, seems a bit unrealistic the way FM handled this situation. Man Utd came to buy me, stayed for 1 season in which they won the Champion's league. Then they started to loan me out, and subsequently I played for more teams. Here is the overview:

1. Standard - Become champions

2. Man Utd - Win Champions League

3. GF38 - Get promoted to Ligue 1 (if they happen to be in Ligue 1 already, get vice-champions)

4. FC Groningen - qualify for Europa League

5. Trabzonspor - qualify for Europa League

6. Espanyol - get top 11 spot (seems very easy but that's all they achieved)

7. AS Monaco - reach french cup final and quarter final champions league in same season

8. Wolfsburg - get top 11 spot

9. AC Milan - stay for 3 seasons without qualifying for Europe and not getting sacked (which happened while I was playing there and seems hard to achieve?!)

10. St Johnstone - finish your managing career here

EXTRA - Belgium - reach quarter finals of World Cup

As you can see it was quite a filled career (my PA was 179 but I never reached it fully and I retired end of 2009 (game year 2029) and became a coach with the outlook to become a manager, how fitting) and there were some problems with some FM "logic" (like Standard getting my at age 16 but not putting in youth or reserve team or me not willing to sign a new contract with AC Milan (was on 46k) but then as free player go for St Johnstone for 5k) but it has given me a diverse and interesting journeyman challenge so it might be an interesting idea for anyone looking for a new idea to create a challenge for themselves.

Btw, you can decide to just continue after the player retires or you can start allover again, that's up to you (I've decided to start allover again with FM12).

Archived