Future leagues and technical restrictions

FM Handheld has 19 divisions in seven countries. Given that SI have stated that England will feature the Conference, it seems a given that the "foreign" leagues will have two divisions and Scotland will have its full complement of four.

I notice that, with the exception of the Netherlands (only two divisions anyway), Scotland (4) and France (National not included), every league is cut short just before they go regional. Serie C, Regionalliga, Segunda B, Conference Regional - all out.

I ask - where these leagues cut for simplicity, so that SI could leave out regional coding and focus on the key aspects of the game for a first version (numerous posts indicate that this is the case), or are there also technical difficulties to overcome? It would be good if in the future, these nations could be expanded to include a third level and make them more attractive to LLM players.

Similarly, with the core of the game undoubtedly in place I presume we're likely to see an increase in the number of supported leagues with time, if the game can support them. How difficult would SI find it to add a new league? If it's part of the code then there could be a serious memory issue with adding more and more leagues (even if only one is playable at any one time) but if the solution relies a lot on data rather than code, we might see expansions.

Nonetheless, I look forward to this, and taking East Stirling to European glory.

Well, perhaps not.

FM Handheld has 19 divisions in seven countries. Given that SI have stated that England will feature the Conference, it seems a given that the "foreign" leagues will have two divisions and Scotland will have its full complement of four.

I notice that, with the exception of the Netherlands (only two divisions anyway), Scotland (4) and France (National not included), every league is cut short just before they go regional. Serie C, Regionalliga, Segunda B, Conference Regional - all out.

I ask - where these leagues cut for simplicity, so that SI could leave out regional coding and focus on the key aspects of the game for a first version (numerous posts indicate that this is the case), or are there also technical difficulties to overcome? It would be good if in the future, these nations could be expanded to include a third level and make them more attractive to LLM players.

Similarly, with the core of the game undoubtedly in place I presume we're likely to see an increase in the number of supported leagues with time, if the game can support them. How difficult would SI find it to add a new league? If it's part of the code then there could be a serious memory issue with adding more and more leagues (even if only one is playable at any one time) but if the solution relies a lot on data rather than code, we might see expansions.

Nonetheless, I look forward to this, and taking East Stirling to European glory.

Well, perhaps not.

• SI Staff

The initial version of FM PSP has been developed while learning about the devices capabilities and as such the longer we develop on the device (which will basically be while its commercially viable realistically) the most tricks we'll find to pack more into the game.

With regards to the physical number of supported leagues I have no doubt that FM PSP 2 (or whatever its called icon_wink.gif ) will contain more ... the simple reason there aren't more in the initial release is due to time constraints (bear in mind that we are contrary to popular opinion a small company and the team on FM Handheld was a whopping 2 1/2 people (basically Richard and Martin with me coming in to help with the gameplay stuff later in the project).

Good to hear about the prospect of more leagues. The UMD is quite hefty so if leagues such as Sweden, Ireland, Northern Ireland, etc. as well as non-European leagues like Brazil made it into the game, we could have quite a varied selection.

Still, time to focus my efforts on raising thirty quid.

Archived