European league weighting system?

I wondered if there's some kind of weighting system added to the match engine when playing in Europe, to give an impetus to the better leagues so they have a greater tendency to provide the finalists? Let's face it, the computer managers play people out of position, injured, or leave better players on the bench so left to their own devices, anyone could reach the finals. The reason for asking this is that my SPL team always have a hard time against Spanish or EPL teams, no matter how good they actually are, whereas when I had York city in the Prem, with a comparable team, it wasn't anything like as difficult. In a two leg game against Chelsea (ECC semi-final for the first time) the results went Chelsea 4 (6 chances) Peterhead 0 (2 chances) and Peterhead 2 (9 chances) Chelsea 1 (2 chances). So from 8 chances, Chelsea scored 5 goals! By the way, none of the Chelsea players would get into my starting 11.

• SI Staff

There isn't a bias given to any team in the match engine - however obviously the better teams tend to have better abilities - especially with regards to handling pressure in big matches ... its also worth remembering that they'll have a lot of support especially at their home grounds which will put more pressure on the opposition players mentally (some players will 'enjoy' the big occassion and rise to it, but some probably won't).

PS - The selection thing where players are shown out of position on a computer teams squad page sometimes was a visual glitch which is fixed in 2012.

So there is a "big team" bias, but it isn't national, it comes in the form of crowd pressure? That does make sense though currently Chelsea have a ground capacity of 41k, while over in my burgeoning empire the ground has a capacity of 37k so I would have thought that (a) my players would be used to it and (b) the Chelsea players would have been under just as much pressure from our home crowd. Oh well, on with next season then!

Archived