FM2006 Handheld or CM2!

I'm struggling to understand the general positive vibe the handheld version of FM2006 is receiving. I've picked this game up a number of times in an effort to give it another go, but the one area where you should have the most input in getting results, the tactics, is really lacking.

Why is there not the ability to design custom formations? I've been playing FM since CM2 on the Amiga back in 1996(!), and even that version allowed you to play with only one winger, or specify a sweeper or anchor man (DM to everyone else icon_wink.gif). I find it shocking that you can't specify forward and backward arrows, and that there is only ONE formation that allows you to play with one up front.

This wouldn't be so bad, but the text match engine doesn't seem to be as explanatory at explaining what's going on as I once remembered either. Call it nostalgia, but I don't recall commentary where one of my defenders wins the ball then in the next instant the opposing keeper suddenly makes a great save (from who?). Yellow and red cards also happen out of the blue without the necessary commentary explaining the build up or the reason why. This was with the match speed at the slowest setting, very slow.

The Action Zones and Player Ratings views do help, but the match commentary should, no must, create a better picture of how your players are doing given the lack of the 2D pitch.

If only a couple of changes are made in the 2007 version, I hope these points are addressed as elsewhere Sigames have done a great job of designing the interface intuitively for the PSP.

I'm struggling to understand the general positive vibe the handheld version of FM2006 is receiving. I've picked this game up a number of times in an effort to give it another go, but the one area where you should have the most input in getting results, the tactics, is really lacking.

Why is there not the ability to design custom formations? I've been playing FM since CM2 on the Amiga back in 1996(!), and even that version allowed you to play with only one winger, or specify a sweeper or anchor man (DM to everyone else icon_wink.gif). I find it shocking that you can't specify forward and backward arrows, and that there is only ONE formation that allows you to play with one up front.

This wouldn't be so bad, but the text match engine doesn't seem to be as explanatory at explaining what's going on as I once remembered either. Call it nostalgia, but I don't recall commentary where one of my defenders wins the ball then in the next instant the opposing keeper suddenly makes a great save (from who?). Yellow and red cards also happen out of the blue without the necessary commentary explaining the build up or the reason why. This was with the match speed at the slowest setting, very slow.

The Action Zones and Player Ratings views do help, but the match commentary should, no must, create a better picture of how your players are doing given the lack of the 2D pitch.

If only a couple of changes are made in the 2007 version, I hope these points are addressed as elsewhere Sigames have done a great job of designing the interface intuitively for the PSP.

• SI Staff

I've improved the commentary quite a bit for the next version, I know going back to 'text only' does take a bit of getting used to for people* - but once you have done you'll find you picture things in your mind very vividly (at least I do icon_wink.gif ).

(incidentally the original match engine used in FMH was based on the 01-02 one)

*and yes the run up to some events needed a few tweaks to make things as satisfying as possible

Hey Marc,

I'd just like to ask again for an even slower speed for matchday. Even on 'very slow' I have to pause frequently if I want to pay attention to my players' stats as the game goes on without missing the commentary.

I hope that this would be a simple thing to implement.

Appreciate the quick response, Marc.

I've no problem with the 'text only' match engine, although it does take a little more effort to visualise how your tactics are working. It's just that the 2D engine in the PC versions means you can see in the first 5 or 10 minutes where obvious weaknesses in your tactics are, i.e. the opposition focusing on direct balls down the channels and your fullbacks getting caught out making too many forward runs.

If the commentary is being improved, could you consider the following level of detail at the slower match speed settings?

"Player A is in space" or "Player A keeps finding space"

"Player A's runs are not being tracked"

"Team A have switched to a more direct approach"

"Team B are being given no time on the ball"

"There looks to be a mismatch between Player A and Player B"

I know messages similar to these are included, but often I only pick up on them after conceding a goal!

Btw, can I read into your response that custom formations are not going to be available in the next version of FMH? icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

What I'm look at currently (amongst other things icon_wink.gif ) is giving an additional 'level' of detail to low speed settings (as suggested) - thus you'll get more feedback and detail if playing slowly than if playing quickly ...

This imho will will cater to the different styles of play that people want (as some want to blast through a match, others want to analyse things in more depth).

I have to agree with this post. I made a similar one myself. And while i still find the game to be enjoyable, while my pc is broke, i wont be buying another fm handheld game untill there is a 2d pitch. The tatics issue also needs to be addressed. I have gone back tot he old days of playing the same tatics each and every game no matter who i play. And so far i have two league titles to my name with bristol rovers.

Cant wait to get back to fm06 when my new pc arrives.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my PSP on Wednesday and FM Handheld yesterday. Traded in the crappy Ridge Racer that came with the bundle!

I realise the game is toned down a bit obviously from the PC version but I still love it, I'm totally hooked.

Personally I'm not too fussed about the 2D match engine anyway, being a veteran CM player from the very beginning, I'm quite used to text only.

I like how it's quite quick as well, I can see me possibly getting through a season a day at this rate.

Archived