UEFA's Financial Fair Play

• SI Staff
Are you considering adding UEFA's new financial rules into the game?

Not in a detailed manner at present, they're presumed to be guiding the budgets the board make available to you as a club already.

• SI Staff
So we will not see clubs being left out of the European competitions due to debts? :(

Oh btw - replied to your thread on vibe regarding this, very cool article incidentally.

It might be implemented eventually - a lot depends on how it affects things irl, at present from the actions of the larger clubs they're just restructuring their corporate entities to ensure that they're basically exempt from the rules.

For instance if the club itself is debt free but has an allegiance to a another corporation which isn't then they still qualify - the other corporation can mysteriously pump money into the club say by sponsoring the clubs training facilities or such like at an exhorbitant price. This then increases the clubs income hugely and bumps up what they're allowed to spend through the FairPlay rules .... I'd love to see these rules have the effect they're intended to, unfortunately at present I don't believe they will - and as such modelling them in-game as they are intentioned would be incorrect and lead to an unrealistic simulation.

(it might be an interesting unlockable however for a future version - stringent financial conditions? ... hmmm, as I've said on Vibe your article is very good and intelligently written, perhaps one day something along those lines will come into the game, time will tell ...)

You have a point there - there are a lot of mischievous ways to get around the financial rules. But UEFA supposedly has a board who's supposed to fact check the sponsorship deals for real market value. And Platini's reputation is relying *a lot* on this. So we might see one or two clubs punished to serve as an example by UEFA.

I also remember Mallorca, finishing 5th in the Spanish League and being excluded from the Europa League.

As for the unlockable - bring it on! :D

• SI Staff
You have a point there - there are a lot of mischievous ways to get around the financial rules. But UEFA supposedly has a board who's supposed to fact check the sponsorship deals for real market value. And Platini's reputation is relying *a lot* on this. So we might see one or two clubs punished to serve as an example by UEFA.

Chelsea and Man City are teams I'll be watching with interest in this regard in the next few years ...

Archived