Players demanding new contracts...

Does anyone know what attributes contribute to a player's 'greed' for wanting improved contracts? I'm wondering as I currently have half a dozen players (in the lower leagues I should add) angling for new bumper contracts. I have tried to get them to wait until the end of the season - a couple have agreed - but for example my best striker refused to budge and I got forced into negotiation. He is currently my top earner on £180p/w, and he is now demanding 8x that - £1,500p/w - and £200 appearance/goal bonuses - all less than half way into the season! Whilst he may be a lost cause, and I will probably be forced to sell him to get the disruptive influence out of the squad, I'm looking to reinvest in players who won't hold me ransom in the board room but will still perform on the pitch?

I'm assuming:

+ high loyalty to the current club (either as a stat or as the current club listed in favourites)

+ low to medium ambition so they don't want to move on every ten seconds

+ high professionalism so they don't disrupt the squad

+ low controversy so they don't kick up a fuss if they get disgruntled.

I can't think of any visible attributes (except maybe determination?) which would make him more modest. Does anyone have any idea?

best thing i found when this came for my newport was sadly to sell of the highest fee possible, and then sign a free transfer to replace him, i had to sell off 2 defenders and 1 striker every season with newport , also it helped with finances , but dont worry you will find a same level if not better player than your current one. i sold off strikers ended up with nicky ajose, sold off for £200,000 , panicked, and then signed Febian Brandy for free, 3 years later and he wanted £3,000 there for im now currently looking to sell for £500,000

Is it the player or is it the agent? If it's the agent, pop up his fee, usually if you go well above what he wants the player will agree to sign for not much more than he's on. I generally find that players aren't *that* smart when it comes to negotiating for themselves. Give him a massive bonus to get in team of the year and make sure all his other bonuses are healthy and he'll sign for much less.

Is it the player or is it the agent? If it's the agent, pop up his fee, usually if you go well above what he wants the player will agree to sign for not much more than he's on. I generally find that players aren't *that* smart when it comes to negotiating for themselves. Give him a massive bonus to get in team of the year and make sure all his other bonuses are healthy and he'll sign for much less.

None of the players in my squad have agents, I'm managing lower leagues, so unfortunately it's not as easy as that. He just point blank won't budge on £1500 p/w, and the £200 appearance/goal bonuses are more than his basic wage at the moment! The thing that annoys me most is, I'm only about 15 games into the season, and he's scored 7 goals. It's not like he's scored 35 for 3 seasons running, in which case I'd be happy to negotiate his contract. It's very premature and he seems very stubborn - but I just can't afford (a) to give him what he wants, or (b) to let his negativity affect results. I'm hoping, like high aggression & dirtiness combined with low tackling & temperament affecting a player's likelihood to get sent off, there might be a magical combination of attributes that might stop him getting too big for his boots! It's almost as if footballers are only interested in money. And that can't be true?:lol:

Archived