Controlling the 'spread' of FM across processors

Through the use of text files with some games its possible to control (or at least give the user control) of how games deploy themselves across your processor. From what I've seen this is done by setting a number in the text file corresponding through binary to the amount of cores/threads you want it to use. I'm wondering if this is possible in FM, or if its worth including in the future.

Basically heres a look at what my processor looks like going into a match and the first few minutes of the match:

core_threads.jpg

All of the threads are being completely ignored by the game, the load is across cores 1, 2, 3, 4. Core 1 (or Core 0) is generally used for most other applications, web-browser, messengers etc. FM doesn't put a huge strain on all of my processors so could be leveraged across the other 3 cores, or even the 3 cores and 4 threads. This would allow my first core to focus on the several programs already focused on running just there. As far as I'm aware the game is also meant to try and utilise the whole of a processor so if you have more threads and more cores it uses them, but this doesn't seem the case. I can't say for certain how FM interprets it, but in this case it looks like the number being loaded by FM is 85.

C = Core

T = Thread

| T4 | C4 | T3 | C3 | T2 | C2 | T1 | C1 |

| 128 | 64 | 32 | 16 | 8 | 4 | 2 | 1 |

* This generally only applies to the i7 series with hyperthreading, for hexcores /w threads the binary values continue to go up.

C1 (1) + C2 (4) + C3 (16) + C4 (64) = 85. Because of the way other programs will automatically latch onto the first core, FM could well run better at 84. This puts the load of the game across the 3 cores which don't have much to do anyway, or alternatively you could use 254 to spread the game across the 3 cores and 4 threads. In my screenshot FM isn't doing much that is burdensome, but for other users who don't have overclocked processors, or perhaps have dualcores which are meant to hyperthread up to acting like 4 cores they may not be seeing much of a benefit from FM's system which is meant to utilise more. FM recognises on its menus there is 8 threads to spread itself across, and I'm aware that threads aren't as effective as cores for processing but some parts of the game, particularly setting up and during close season spells there can be more exertion with faster, larger quantities of processing. There is also the point to be raised that when there is bulk processing to be done, Core4 generally takes it on mostly, at some points Core 4 will be at 70 - 90% utilisation, whilst the other 3 are down at 10% utilisation.

The game seems to rarely exceed going over a combination of 4 cores, and when in the menus there is little processing to be done, but there can be something of a ramp up time to get consistent fast processing, as you can see in my graphs rather than it staying around a steady level it jitters all over the place, I can understand steep drops as it comes back to menus but is the game getting sluggish to unleash the processing power thats there? I'm finding now more than ever there is a little window, when I first click continue that FM will say "not responding" if I click on the FM window by mistake. It's only a few seconds, but the processing power is clearly there to not require that (3.8ghz) with other games you really can see an increase just by removing the processing from core 1 because then its not having to sort the game amongst the other programs.

I'd certainly be interested to see what dual-core hyper threaded users, and hex-core hyperthreaded users were getting.

Archived