General Handheld Questions

First off, the handheld game is brilliant. Its all the fun of the regular version, without the bloated micromanagement features!! (No offence) I dont even play the PC game anymore. Great job to whoever is running the show for the handheld game.

Anyhow, I have a few question I was curious if anyone could comment on.

1. How does squad rotation effect players/results? I generally build two teams within the squad, an A team and a B team. I look at the schedule and align it to where the A team is playing the tougher or more important games and the B team is not. Unless its late in the season or I have a couple vital ones back to back I always rotate each squad with each game. the idea being that I dont have to play anyone under 95% fitness and dont overplay key players. So id say my A team plays 60% of total games and the B team plays around 40%. Is their a game mechanic built in that punishes this? I havent noticed anything glaring, but I was curios if there is anything coded into the game to hinder results/production with a rotation scheme.

2. Training. How long does it take for a given training schedule to produce results? I generally set a training schedule in August, then change it in January to address anything that a player needs at that point in the season. Results wise, how long does a player need to be on a given schedule to get real results? (3 months, 6 months, a year)

3. Training intensity. I see people talking about doing intensive cycles for young players and backups. In general, how many "intense" "medium" "light" areas can you use without hampering performance on the field? I generally have every schedule with two intense options, one medium and two light. Can you comfortably do three intense, two light or three intense, one medium and one light? Also is their a quantifiable difference between intense and medium. IE How much faster is intense producing over medium and medium over light?

4. Morale. Is there a quantifiable downside to using player interaction too much? Ive noticed I can spam all the players with marginal morale with personal positive talks. Every month I look at who needs a pep and interact accordingly. It does wonders for morale. Is there any downside to this or does everyone do this! lol

5. This goes with morale, but im curious if there is any downside to delisting transfer targets after the transfer window ends. For example, I try to sell a player and have him listed, offer him to clubs etc. Nobody buys said player, so to immediately address team harmony, when the window closes, Ill take him off transfer listed and then do a player interaction so he doesnt bring down the squad morale. Im wondering, does that in any way affect his ability to be sold at the next window. (ie not being consistently transfer lister, only transfer listed the second a window opens)

Thanks in advance!!!

A lot of good topics here!

1. How does squad rotation effect players/results? I generally build two teams within the squad, an A team and a B team. I look at the schedule and align it to where the A team is playing the tougher or more important games and the B team is not. Unless its late in the season or I have a couple vital ones back to back I always rotate each squad with each game. the idea being that I dont have to play anyone under 95% fitness and dont overplay key players. So id say my A team plays 60% of total games and the B team plays around 40%. Is their a game mechanic built in that punishes this? I havent noticed anything glaring, but I was curios if there is anything coded into the game to hinder results/production with a rotation scheme.

I don't rotate as much as you, but I've noticed that very easy games are a great opportunity to do so. I feel that when players are sure of their place in the squad, they tend to not perform to their potential in such games. On the other hand, unused players tend to play superbly against weaker opposition. It's like they're wanting to show you that they should be first team players. Of course, it's also a matter of judgement on the importance of the game, and the level of the player. A tricky case to judge is, for example, the last game of the season against the bottom placed team, and your team needing a win to be crowned champions.

2. Training. How long does it take for a given training schedule to produce results? I generally set a training schedule in August, then change it in January to address anything that a player needs at that point in the season. Results wise, how long does a player need to be on a given schedule to get real results? (3 months, 6 months, a year).

Depends on the player's age, potential and first team experience. Let's say that a young, highly promising player, that plays often in the first team (even as a sub) should develop quite fast.

3. Training intensity. I see people talking about doing intensive cycles for young players and backups. In general, how many "intense" "medium" "light" areas can you use without hampering performance on the field? I generally have every schedule with two intense options, one medium and two light. Can you comfortably do three intense, two light or three intense, one medium and one light? Also is their a quantifiable difference between intense and medium. IE How much faster is intense producing over medium and medium over light?

The guys from SI say that you should not overwork your players. You also get messages from your assistant manager that a player is struggling with training, that he might get injured, etc. In the end, it is a matter of risk taking. Some outfield players can undertake a training schedule with all options in "intense" (except goalkeeping, set to none), play regularly throughout the season, and still have great condition for every match. Most of the goalies can undertake a training schedule with everything maxed, except by attacking and defensive (which should be set to none), and be in perfect condition for every game. Players that generally struggle are those close to retirement and youngsters with low stamina. If you have enough squad depth, you can risk a couple of injuries and have a very intensive schedule.

4. Morale. Is there a quantifiable downside to using player interaction too much? Ive noticed I can spam all the players with marginal morale with personal positive talks. Every month I look at who needs a pep and interact accordingly. It does wonders for morale. Is there any downside to this or does everyone do this! lol

If you do it once a month, it is ok. The problem arises when you talk to a player too often (let's say, every week). Also, I tend to be a bit careful with those that prefer public interaction. If their form is on the borderline between good and bad, the pep talk results tend to be negative. If a player is performing badly, you should definitely criticize him, as positive pep talks can lead to lax commitment.

5. This goes with morale, but im curious if there is any downside to delisting transfer targets after the transfer window ends. For example, I try to sell a player and have him listed, offer him to clubs etc. Nobody buys said player, so to immediately address team harmony, when the window closes, Ill take him off transfer listed and then do a player interaction so he doesnt bring down the squad morale. Im wondering, does that in any way affect his ability to be sold at the next window. (ie not being consistently transfer lister, only transfer listed the second a window opens)

It sounds like good practice to me. Negotiations tend to start a couple of weeks before the opening of the transfer window, so that should be a good moment to do so.

A lot of good topics here!

I don't rotate as much as you, but I've noticed that very easy games are a great opportunity to do so. I feel that when players are sure of their place in the squad, they tend to not perform to their potential in such games. On the other hand, unused players tend to play superbly against weaker opposition. It's like they're wanting to show you that they should be first team players. Of course, it's also a matter of judgement on the importance of the game, and the level of the player. A tricky case to judge is, for example, the last game of the season against the bottom placed team, and your team needing a win to be crowned champions.

Depends on the player's age, potential and first team experience. Let's say that a young, highly promising player, that plays often in the first team (even as a sub) should develop quite fast.

The guys from SI say that you should not overwork your players. You also get messages from your assistant manager that a player is struggling with training, that he might get injured, etc. In the end, it is a matter of risk taking. Some outfield players can undertake a training schedule with all options in "intense" (except goalkeeping, set to none), play regularly throughout the season, and still have great condition for every match. Most of the goalies can undertake a training schedule with everything maxed, except by attacking and defensive (which should be set to none), and be in perfect condition for every game. Players that generally struggle are those close to retirement and youngsters with low stamina. If you have enough squad depth, you can risk a couple of injuries and have a very intensive schedule.

If you do it once a month, it is ok. The problem arises when you talk to a player too often (let's say, every week). Also, I tend to be a bit careful with those that prefer public interaction. If their form is on the borderline between good and bad, the pep talk results tend to be negative. If a player is performing badly, you should definitely criticize him, as positive pep talks can lead to lax commitment.

It sounds like good practice to me. Negotiations tend to start a couple of weeks before the opening of the transfer window, so that should be a good moment to do so.

Thanks for the response!

Re:Rotation

Im a bit paranoid about overusing players, hence my more drastic approach to rotation. Thats why im a bit curious how the game mechanic operates in this regard. Does the injury or form mechanics take into account the games played or the condition the player is in for each individual game, or both. For example, if a player is starts a large amount of games, but is in great fitness for each start, would the likliehood increase over the season for an injury, or since he is in great form would it be about as likely as any random injury? I do a lot of my rotation based on an idea that the AI some how takes amounts of starts into account. Im not sure if that would be a correct appraoch, hence my wondering aloud on the subject.

Re:Training

I guess a big question for me is can we exactly quantify what each training intensity option produces. Say we take a player of equal ability and equal first team starts. What does Intense training produce versus Medium, Medium versus Light etc. (ex Intense could result in a 1 point increase in a year, Medium half a point etc) Also, im curious how long a player needs to be on a given option for it to result in a noticeable gain. Essentially, what is the minimum a player should be on any given schedule before switching.

Which leads me to a though I had today. Would this sort of schedule break down based on age make sense.....

Fitness (Used for all 21 and under players)

Intense for Attacking, Tactics, Defense, Fitness

Medium Motivation

No Goalkeeping

Attacking (used for players 27 and up that are strikers or attacking mids)

Intense Attacking

Medium Defense, Tactics, Fitness, Motivation

No goalkeeping

Defender (used for players 27 and up, all defenders or defensive mids)

Intense Defense

Medium Attack, Tactics, Fitness, Motivation

No Goalkeeping

Technical (used for players between 22-26, strikers and attacking mids)

Intense Attacking, Tactics

Medium Fitness, Defense, Motivation

No Goalkeeping

General (used for players 22-26, defenders or defensive mids)

Intense Defense, Tactics

Medium Fitness, Attacking, Motivation

No Goalkeeping

My though process here is to do very intense training in all areas through the age of 21. Use two intense areas between 22-26 based on position. Use one intense regimen for players 27+.

Thoughts?

I

• SI Staff
Im a bit paranoid about overusing players, hence my more drastic approach to rotation. Thats why im a bit curious how the game mechanic operates in this regard. Does the injury or form mechanics take into account the games played or the condition the player is in for each individual game, or both. For example, if a player is starts a large amount of games, but is in great fitness for each start, would the likliehood increase over the season for an injury, or since he is in great form would it be about as likely as any random injury? I do a lot of my rotation based on an idea that the AI some how takes amounts of starts into account. Im not sure if that would be a correct appraoch, hence my wondering aloud on the subject.

The injury chance is based partially on how heavily he's training, partially on his natural injury proneness (hidden but your physio may mention it in his report if you check) and partially on his condition*.

As such it doesn't matter if he's playing a lot of games - so long as he can physically cope with them, if he can't then his condition** will be lower and its that which will increase the chance of injury.

*For in match injuries there are also other factors - the strength of players involved in a challenge, the dirtiness of an opposition player making a challenge etc. .... you might find you have a particular 'bruiser' who is rather effective at taking out players (or getting sent off ;) ) for instance.

**The condition you 'see' on the screen actually comprises of two variables - fitness and condition; at the beginning of a pre-season the fitness is low but condition high (as they need training to get back to peak fitness) - towards the end of a season fitness might be high but condition lesser.

This makes if a player is active in International competitions during a summer something which can seriously affect their performance in the next season if they've been very active during the season as well (ie. they might stay fit but not recover their condition as much as usual - this could mean they struggle a little during the season unless you rotate them out - this is most noticable for younger and more elderly players ... but a lot depends on the physique of the players in question).

@ Marc

Can you add a medical to next seasons game ?. I'm soooo sick of spending money on players and my physio saying " he has long term concerns over the players fitness ". I also had the pleasure of a player retiring due to those injuries. I may as well have burned my £8m.

Archived