Player Development: Loan v In House Training

I am currently playing FM for the first time and am in the off season with Celtic. I have spent most of my transfer funds on younger players who are elligible for my U19 squad, but have been approached by other clubs who want to take them on loan.

My question for the community is.... do young players develop faster if they go on loan? I thought that if I keep them either in my regular squad (where they will not get a chance to play) or with the U19s, I can control thier training. But if I farm them out on loan to a club who indicates that they will be a valuable member of the first team, they will get match fitness.

What does everyone think? Thanks in advance

Yeah, the loan offer must be "valuable member of the first team" first and foremost. It depends on the player, I would say. In my opinion, a player that requires significant development would be better spent in your U19 team. However, if the player is borderline good enough for your first team squad, and will probably be there next season, then I would send out on loan and get him some competitive experience.

Do people find that it also depends on the quality of the team/league you're loaning out to? This is only my experience so not sure if it's true in general. I'm playing Liverpool. I've loaned 2 guys out when they were 18-19 to clubs from the Spanish or Italian top leagues. They were both valuable members of first team and played regularly. I found that those 2 really improved a lot after a season or 2 on loan to such big clubs. In comparison, other players who I loaned out to clubs in lower league, even though they were also valuable members of first team and played regularly, I find they didn't improve as much.

Do people find that it also depends on the quality of the team/league you're loaning out to? This is only my experience so not sure if it's true in general. I'm playing Liverpool. I've loaned 2 guys out when they were 18-19 to clubs from the Spanish or Italian top leagues. They were both valuable members of first team and played regularly. I found that those 2 really improved a lot after a season or 2 on loan to such big clubs. In comparison, other players who I loaned out to clubs in lower league, even though they were also valuable members of first team and played regularly, I find they didn't improve as much.

It was probably a mixture of the higher quality opposition and the Spanish/Italian clubs having better training facilities. That being said, the players you sent on loan to Spain/Italy could have had better mental stats which allowed them to develop faster/to a higher level

Archived