What they hey just happened - very weird situation

Downloaded the patch yesterday, and this happened in my 4th game with the new patch(I think):

5 minutes into the game, my midfielder hits a through ball to my striker, who outpaces the defenders. The goalie beats him to the ball however, and collects the ball at the edge of the penalty area, just in front of my striker. So far, so good. But then the weird thing happens. When the goalie throws the ball out again, he crosses the line out of the penalty area - the ref blows a free kick to me and rewards the goalie with a red card...

My reaction: "Whaaaaaaaa.....?"

Is this correct behaviour from the match engine? Was it a freak occurence, or a bug? Has anyone else had this happen?

But, is this a proper reaction according to the rules? Do you get a red for handballing outside the penalty area?

I remember back in my playing days, I got a yellow and an indirect free kick against me when I stole way too many metres on a goal kick, and the foul was because I handballed outside the area(before dropping it to kick it mid-air)...

If its a deliberate hand ball out side the area by the goalkeeper then the letter of the law states the goalkeeper should be sent from the field. However in your instance I would say that the ref should have perhaps booked the goalkeeper as it was goalkeeper judging error. But hey some refs can be harsh.

Archived