Happier side? I don't think so.

I just managed my team Brøndby in the CL first knock-out round against Sporting Lisbon, who have a slightly higher rep, but with players fairly equal to my own. I lost the away game 1-0 and then, very disappointingly, drew the home game 2-2 after being up 2-0. After the game, the pundits seemed to think that my team's supporters were 'happy' with the draw and that my opponents 'were left wondering why they couldn't win'. This is quite frankly adding insult to injury.

It's quite baffling how the pundits can think my team's supporters are happy after being knocked out after two close encounters. It has to do with rep, of course, but there are cases where an unlikely draw is a good result, and then there are cases where it's gutwrechingly annoying. It would be nice if the game were better at recognizing when which had occurred. How about saying: "X came desperately close to pulling off a sensational result, but..." I think that would leave us managers with a more satisfying next-morning newspaper headline than "you suck so much, you have to be happy you even got to play against team X." Especially since I had beaten much bigger teams in the group stage.

It's a purely cosmetic thing, of course, but it would still be nice to see it implemented.

Doesnt the press reports just look at that single game and not the overal tie of 2 games?

Yes it does.

Similar to the OP gripe occurs when you're needing a win to win promotion / secure play-offs / avoid relegation and you draw, and you fail at your season goal, but the press think you should be over the moon with the useless unlikely draw. Safe to say I'm not.

I've seen many occasions where the supporters report afterwards is the complete opposite of the press predicting reaction. Also the game doesnt always recognise when you are running away with a game and draw following late goals, and they think you're happy! nut-uh!!

Archived