Work Permits

I am sure this would've been answered before but I am having trouble finding an answer..

Last season I signed a very promising young GK from Dynamo Kyiv. He is from Ukraine. He is now 23 years old.

Unfortunately I have not been able to play him due to the fact he is still awaiting a work permit, as he has a 'Wp' next to his name.

Does anyone know how long I have to keep this player before he gains a work permit? Would it be 3 years, when he gains GB nationality?

I only bought him for £45k and now is worth £200k without playing a single game, so when he starts to play I am sure his value will shoot up. I also have clubs interested in him, but I want to hang on to him to make a big profit in the long-term.

Any help is appreciated.

It takes five years to get UK citizenship so you are going to be waiting a long time which means he's going to be in the reserves and will probably want to leave before then. Also if his contract runs out before that you probably wont be able to get him a new one as he won't be granted a work permit. As said above you are best off sending him out on laon to Spain or Belgium to get him a second nationality

Belgium, Bulgaria or Poland are the best bets for a WP player with a permit, i also think that bulgarian/Polish would be easier for a Ukrainian to learn (may just be me)

Under no circumstances, keep him at the club (try to get him a second nationality)

No point in sending this player to spain because the wait is 4 years I believe unless he's from a spanish speaking south american nation then the rules say the wait is only 2 years. Better to send him to a nation like Belgium.

Archived