Analysing a player

I've been struggling on the recent version of FM and im the first to admit im not tactically minded enough for the game, however trying to learn.

I have just started a new game managing Huddersfield Town, and would like some help and advice on what I should be looking at when

analysing a player for a position and how to get the best out of individual players e.g. (how to get my striker firing on all cylinders) as in

the past I have based the player and his position by looking at the player role highlighted attributes suggestions, and slotting him in the team

that way.

So the question really is how do I analyse a player and integrate him into the team and get the best out of him?

If you have a pacey striker (15/16+ for pace/acceleration) play as poacher or advanced forward. Set them as target man with supply run onto ball and have all midfielders trying through balls often. This works well especially if you play counter attacking football.

If you have a good target man that has good heading, strength, control can set them as the teams target man with mixed/ to head supply.

If you have a pacey winger that can dribble at least a bit set them to hug the touch line, run with ball often and from deep. Set their crossing supply to aim for target man as well.

From experience in the lower leagues especially pace causes opposition defences big problems. Anyone with 15/16 pace/acceleration that has semi decent technical skills can do very well if utilised properly.

In defence I usually start games narrow with little creative freedom. I always go for defenders with a high marking stat if looking to sign any need. I much prefer using man marking as opposed to zonal.

Archived