Was this the right call?

I had a situation today that I've never seen before and was just wondering if the game got it right.

Basically, one of my players was taking a free kick and the ball went into the net, for a goal I assumed. However, there was a foul in the box during the kick and a penalty kick was awarded instead. Which was missed, of course.

It hardly seems fair that I was denied a clear goal for a penalty chance, but I want to know what would happen in a real match if this occurred.

To my way of thinking, the Ref should have played advantage and allowed the goal to stand from the free kick. So, I'd say he got it wrong.

Perhaps unless, the foul in the box , was a red card offence? But even still, the goal should have stood.

I'm no rule expert but common sense leads me to think the game it wrong.

The point of calling a penalty is for a foul preventing a clear scoring chance. So if a foul was committed but a goal was scored then I can't imagine why the rules would not allow a clear goal and give a PK.

Especially when you consider that the foul was obviously in the air when the foul was committed and, I'm assuming, that no one else played the ball. But regardless it is a clear instance of advantage, you don't take a good goal away to give a PK, I can't imagine FIFA rules fail like that.

So again, the game code is just wrong. I would post this in the ME bug board to make sure it's clear to SI.

I'm no rule expert but common sense leads me to think the game it wrong.

The point of calling a penalty is for a foul preventing a clear scoring chance. So if a foul was committed but a goal was scored then I can't imagine why the rules would not allow a clear goal and give a PK.

Especially when you consider that the foul was obviously in the air when the foul was committed and, I'm assuming, that no one else played the ball. But regardless it is a clear instance of advantage, you don't take a good goal away to give a PK, I can't imagine FIFA rules fail like that.

So again, the game code is just wrong. I would post this in the ME bug board to make sure it's clear to SI.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bug, as the refs do get it wrong in the game. Just like players, they make mistakes.

Getting it wrong consists of missing a foul for a PK. I don't think you can just chalk it up to official error in this.

The only reason this might be the case is if the ref blows the whistle with the ball in the air and keeper/defense don't make a play on the ball because the play was blown dead. But really, what keeper would let the ball go into the net if he could prevent it, it's a pride thing, so whistle or no they'll stop the ball if they can.

There is a slim area for it being an error by the ref, but that's pretty extreme. i think it's more likely a bug... either way though why might as well post it in the bug forum just in case it is, if it's not then SI just explains why.

Archived