What Laptop?

After chugging away for so long on my desktop computer which has been serving me well (and not so well) for 8 years it's time to give it up for good and invest in a laptop. When I got the PC it was something to have in a room but since the introduction of wireless internet, it's just too tempting to play FM anywhere in the house whilst pretending to do work so I was wondering if any kind folks would mind helping me in choosing the best one?

My price range is £500 to £650 and this is what I'v looked upon and would appreciate pointers on each one:

Processor: Intel Core i3-350

Memory: 4GB of DDR Ram

Hard Drive: 250GB (7200RPM)

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD5470 Graphics Card

SATA Hard Drive 320 or 500gb

I understand that FM needs lots of memory but with the introduction of the 3D Engine, how would an ATI like the one above handle it? Would a "NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M with CUDA™ technology

- 1 GB dedicated video memory" be better? Also in relation to hard drives, due to doing video editing i want it to be 7200RPM but does this apply to SATA drives? Do they only run at the one speed? Or does the speed dwindle the more space you have?

I'll be using the system for 3DS Max, Video Editing and whatnot and whilst I'd need to spend a bit more quid to make those programs run like the breeze, at least they'l be quicker on the system above than on my existing system. Plus a good barometer of how good your system is, is if it will be able to handle FM.

So what do you reckon guys?

Archived