Achievements in a different manner

Now I'm not talking Champions League medals or Premier League wins, what I mean is challenges that you set yourself and later accomplish.

An example would be something along the lines of keeping Portsmouth up with all their horrendously poor players. Emulating Fulhams run in Europe this season or possibly even cracking the top four with Everton in the first year.

I recently decided that I would change my usual game play from Liverpool, Sampdoria or Wolfsburg to more 'displeasing' tactics. I choose to try and emulate Sam Allardyces Bolton side in which he relied heavily and brute force, though to put it in Wengers terms, bully tactics. Of course, now that he has moved to pastures new Blackburn via Newcastle, he has started to create a similarity. Kevin Davies and Kalinic.

I played ugly football and the vast majority of my games came from Davies himself and Elmander (Who in my opinion, is vastly overrated in this game). 4 - 5 - 1 which long balls and knock downs being the key.

I had no idea where I would finish at first but I picked up a lot of results from 'better' sides by playing this way when there was a clear gulf in talent. I managed to finish 6th, which in my opinion was quite an achievement. Considering that on the majority of my saves, Bolton struggle more often than not.

I always try to chellenge myself to bring players through from my own youth system regardless of the level of the club I'm at. The only time I achieved any meaningful success of this strategy was way back in FM07 when I took Bath City all the way up the leagues to the Premiership. It wasn't until I reached the Championship however that my team started to include regular starters that had come through my own system.

I find it's a far more entertaining and challenging experience than spending millions on brining the best players in from around the world

Archived