Conceding Right After Scoring..?

As the old saying goes, you're most vulnerable when you've just scored. Couldn't be any truer in my game. Time and time again we score a goal, only to concede directly after it.

For example in the last game, we're playing Leicester who are 21st. Their two strikers haven't scored in nearly 1300 minutes between them. We're dominating all game. We finally score. They have one chance directly after it and score instantly. We then dominate again, go 2-1 up. Only for them to have their second chance of the match and equalise again within five minutes.

What's the problem? We've conceded the 4th most goals all season, about half of which are within 5-10 minutes of scoring ourselves. My 'keeper is quality and regularly gets 7+ match rating. I'm not sure whether the problem lies with my defenders concentration or something.

Any hints? Anyone else had this problem before? :(

This has become a bit of a problem for me I must admit. Only last night I was dominating a game, finally scored late on and then they equalised straight away on the back of no pressure or anything.

I personally just think its my defenders, I've got a small squad and I've just struggled through the Christmas period (five games in 13 days) and they're just in need of a rest. If it keeps happening I'd look at what defensive setings your CB's are on and perhaps start one of your back up defenders for a couple of games.

It might be question of morale as well.

Players tend to get complacent when leading (especially against weaker teams). Very determined players tend to get motivated or fired up after conceding. So if you score, your complacency rises and other team motivation may grow and ceteris paribus, they have advantage.

I just checked. Kisnorbo, who's average rating is 7.01, has only 8 concentration, whilst Beevers, who's average is 6.99, has 13 concentration.

Interestingly, my first choice DL has been playing poorly recently (avg of 6.20 from last five games) so I dropped him and played my ML there (who is competent at DL), and he got MOM with us playing out a 0-0 draw. Then again, we didn't actually score so who knows.

Funnily enough, of our 8 wins this season, three of them have been a result of stoppage time winners (where the oppo has no time to respond). The rest were comfortable 2-3 goal wins. But it's the really close games, where we might go 1-0 down, or is held at 0-0 for most of the game, where we seem to grab a goal only to concede instantly.

I'm mainly a bit worried because after all of four months, I'm apparently close to getting the sack, already. We got knocked out of the League Cup to Premiership Wolves on penalties (we're a Championship side), which "disappointed" my fans, and our target was the 3rd round. Whilst I said I'd try to come top half, and we're currently 12th, often slipping between 10th and 16th though because the league is so close. So I can sort of understand, but surely it'd make sense for my board to at least give me a season unless things are going horribly wrong? Realistically keeping a promoted team in mid-table (7 points off the play-offs, 17 of the relegation zone, 23 games in) and only missing out on the League Cup target because of bad luck (drawing a PL side and then penalties) wouldn't get you sacked.

Archived