Bayern Munchen want to play kiddy footy?

First, a little bit of background. I'm playing FM2009, started unemployed with Sunday football reputation. Took over Vasco (RSA), an obscure, semi-professional, south african team that's valued €1k when I took over (IIRC), and plays in the First Division Coastal (lowest playable league in South Africa, just beneath Premier).

Board expectatations were a mid-table position and media prediction was 5th (out of 8 total teams in the league). Participation in the First Division Cup and SAFA Cup were simply "enjoy the experience", and the board was delighted I won the first game in both (despite losing in the second, again, for both).

Granted, I ended up finishing the season in 1st place, but didn't get Promotion easily. In South Africa, the winner of the First Division Coastal has to play against the winner of First Division Inland, and only the victor advances to promotion, while the loser has to play two out of three other teams (the teams that finished 2nd in the First Division and one of the Premier relegation candidates. I lost that game, so I was bounced back to semi-finalists battle.

First team to face me was the relegation candidate, in a Home match, which I was winning 3-0 by half-time, but ended up seeing them recover all the way to a draw (3-3). The fans were, quote "very disappointed" about how I left such a healthy margin at half time go away like that. In the Away game, I've beaten them 3-0, so I went through to the final with a 6-3 aggregate result.

In the final, again I got a draw Home (1-1), so I needed one goal to get promoted and, finally, in the Away game, I came out as the winner (0-1).

So, bottom-line, while it was a great result, I clearly had some hicups that could've kept us in the First Division. That last goal was really what made the difference.

Now, here's the kicker... everyone went on Holiday but me... I decided to go and do some mass scouting throughout June, while I waited for my players to get back from the beach.

And then it happened.

I get a message from Bayern Munchen challenging me for a Friendly :eek:

I mean, how they even know I exist? :D Out of all the teams in the world (I have all nations, all leagues, etc) what went through their heads to pick me? And it's a Home friendly too, so they're the ones travelling to South Africa to play!

I even wondered if they were having a poor season and maybe needed a morale boost by beating a team like mine but, as I clicked their name... I saw they just won the German championship and are going to the ECC, and morale was, obviously, between Very Good and Superb.

I can only assume they're tired of serious football and want some good. old-fashioned, kiddy football... looking forward to July 24th now, for the big clash :)

Archived