inside forward tactic help

I play 40231, with aml and amr. I play 1 mc def, 1 mc att, aml att, str att and aml and amr as inside forwards with a support role. Their crossing is @ rarely, and they're instructed to cut inside. However, they cross quite lot, still. I know why too, they get themselves into situation in which they can't do much else, they run towards the cornerflag, and then they can't do anything else. My players are all very small, so it doesn't help me whatsoever, and if aml and amr don't cross, my team is much more dangerous. Does anyone know how i can effectively stop my inside forwards from crossing? Thanks.

Touchline shout "work ball into box" helps. short passing, do you have them set to cross from byline? if so if they run there and the backpass is'nt on then as you say the only ball is basically a cross. Check the creative freedom setting on them too, I'd imagine you have it quite high on attackers so they will tend to do there own thing.

Touchline shout "work ball into box" helps. short passing, do you have them set to cross from byline? if so if they run there and the backpass is'nt on then as you say the only ball is basically a cross. Check the creative freedom setting on them too, I'd imagine you have it quite high on attackers so they will tend to do there own thing.

I can try shorter passing (which im pretty sure is the same as work into box). I have them cross from mixed, but the first problem is that they hug the touchline, cause i set them to cut inside. CF is ~12-13ish, b/c they're on support, they're not on very high cf.

When I use inside forwards, I set them to cut inside, and make sure they have the ability to play themselves out of trouble. So they basically always cut into the edge of the box and power one in / through ball it. I also like to have my right footers on the left, and vice versa, so the shots are generally more accurate.

Their crossing is @ rarely, and they're instructed to cut inside. However, they cross quite lot, still. I know why too, they get themselves into situation in which they can't do much else, they run towards the cornerflag, and then they can't do anything else.

You need to give them more options when they get to this position. Make sure your full backs are pushing on and overlapping, make sure not all of your attacking midfielders are set to fwd runs often to avoid them piling into the box and leaving your man on the wing isolated. Also change your MC att to a support role so he hangs back a bit and gives the aml/r a passing option. Try playing with narrower width. Try playing with a slower tempo so your build up play involves more passing rather than quick through balls into space for the guy to run onto and get stuck in the corner.

Any of those might help! Sorry if you've already thought of them :)

You need to give them more options when they get to this position. Make sure your full backs are pushing on and overlapping, make sure not all of your attacking midfielders are set to fwd runs often to avoid them piling into the box and leaving your man on the wing isolated. Also change your MC att to a support role so he hangs back a bit and gives the aml/r a passing option. Try playing with narrower width. Try playing with a slower tempo so your build up play involves more passing rather than quick through balls into space for the guy to run onto and get stuck in the corner.

I haven't. Thanks. I will try to get them out of the corner this way. Seems by your reply you know exactly what I mean too, cause I didn't say anything about them being in the corner. This probably means I should play silve as advanced playmaker instead of attacking midfielder. The latter kinda shifts the formation into 442, while as a playmaker he'll probably help out more.

lol, first minute of the game, throw in on my half to villa, villa to mata, mata plays a pinpoint perfect through ball to supporting mc (box-to-box diarra) who shamefully misses his clearcut chance. Ill let it run, see if it's coincidence or whether you fixed my 'wingers'.

EDIT: yes, it was a coincidence. They still go to the corner and cross, reducing forw. runs on the amc and making cm support didn't make them support the winger. He still runs to the corner for a cross, and still doens't have any other passing option. I would prefer it if he didn't run into the corner but cut inside (AS I TELL HIM TO DO FFS) but as long as they stop with the tarded crosses im happy enough.

I find this very annoying btw, that the instructionsettings are still counterintuitive. You expect them not to cross if you set them to the default inside forward setting, but instead, they keep manouvring themselves into situations where they can't do anything else.

Archived