Plea for Match Engine tweaks

This thread, whilst intended to be constructive, is borne out of the frustration of having a title snatched from me. I've posted some of it on another thread but I'm going at a different angle here.

So. It’s the last game of the season, it’s a title decider. I win the game and the title is mine. Lose or draw and it's theirs.

So I'm 3-2 up and we're in the third minute of the two additional minutes (but that’s another story)

My centre-back goes down lame, and as he’s being treated on the sidelines they break, right through the huge gaping hole left by my absent centre-back and BANG. The crushing blow of an equaliser.

So, the point of the thread. My centre-back is missing and the limitation of the Match Engine meant I couldn’t yet make any changes.

In real-life, my players would have sorted themselves out. My full-back would have shifted in-field to centre-back and a wide-midfielder would’ve filtered back. Or my DMC would drop into CB. What was left was a huge hole between RB and LCB. A huuuuuge hole.

I’d like to see this implemented as a ME improvement. Its very unrealistic for my team to keep on playing with an asymmetrical back-line and i'd hope something better could be done with the ME.

Another thing that happens that should be looked at is being able to cancel substitutions. You've maybe just subbed a defender for a forward in the quest for a goal. Before the changes can be made, and out of nowhere, you nick one. Now I'd like to be able to say, "hold on here, I'll keep that defender on the pitch actually", but again the ME constraints mean I can't do so.

So, my two requests are:

a) Allow the user to make minor reshuffles immediately (rather than waiting for a stoppage)

b) Allow the user to cancel substitutions.

Would make for a much more realistic experience.

These two things are so obvious and been around so long that I do wonder if there is something inherent in how the match engine functions that means 'fixing' them would require a complete overhaul of the overall functionality of the match engine in terms of how it deals with highlights (preplayed and branching etc.).

Having said that the forced sub due to an injury seems to allow interruption and instantaneous tactical changes so one would think the same approach could be applied to the situation when a player is taken off the field for treatment. There must be some part of the code that triggers the 'take off piitch for treatment' event so why not treat that in the same way as the 'force substitution due to injury' event?

If anyone from SI is reading this, that last paragraph is more of a question so no need to take the **** if it isn't that simple :D

There must be some part of the code that triggers the 'take off piitch for treatment' event so why not treat that in the same way as the 'force substitution due to injury' event?

That’s a good point.

Actually, thinking about it, does the fact that you’re player is then injured (but not to the point of having to come off) and operating at a lower % condition, would that not affect the outcome of the match? So it should be recalculated?

Or is it scripted in from the very start? Does it matter?

That’s a good point.

Actually, thinking about it, does the fact that you’re player is then injured (but not to the point of having to come off) and operating at a lower % condition, would that not affect the outcome of the match? So it should be recalculated?

Or is it scripted in from the very start? Does it matter?

As far as I know that is already scripted/calculated and in place from the moment a 'linear path' is initiated (by linear I mean from the gamer's perspective). The only thing that causes recalculation and branching are changes in tactics. That's why you get the same message popping up that appears when you finish all the pre match stuff to start a match.

Archived