Pulling my hair out!

i've just scored a 72nd minute equaliser at home where we are on top, it was a 35 yard stunner, this would get the fans right behind us and inspire us to go on and get the win?!

so why 2mins later that same goalscorer would give away a penalty in an un-threatening position (the oppositions 2nd penalty of the game) i have no idea?! so i told my team to press more to get the ball to hopefully score the equaliser we needed, i lost 4-1, telling my team to press more resulted in 2 identical goals being scored,

their midfielder has the ball

my centre backs are drawn towards it like magnets but not fast enough to get it

midfielder plays a simple through ball to an un-marked striker

striker slides ball past keeper :eek:

i was advised to watch the match engine as it may help me see where i'm going wrong....i now have less hair from watching the match engine :mad:

any ideas (on the tactics, not the hair loss)

formation was 4-1(DM)-2(CM's)-2 (wide playmakers)-1

Their midfielder had the ball. You told them to close down more. Your defenders have no common sense and both went to close down their midfielder, leaving their striker unmarked.

I recommend having your central defenders man-mark strikers when asking the team to close down more, they seem less likely to leave the strikers unmarked to close down a midfielder. It does have a habit of backfiring when the opposition play with 1 or 3 strikers though, the defence don't know what to do, so I only ever do that when they're playing with 2 up front.

Archived