Board confidence: Still needs tweaking?

Two specific cases from multiplay that seem just not right to me:

1) Everton manager takes them to 2nd in their first season, QF of Euro League, QF FA Cup, 4th Round LC.

12 Games into the second season, he is sacked. He gave "title challenge" and started with the top 4 all away and then with low morale had to play other human managers. Was 13th after 12 games and was sacked.

My question is: How is it possible for a manager who takes Everton to 2nd in season 1 and qualifies from his CL group to have such poor job security?

2) Aston Villa manager takes them to 4th place and CL in season 1, contract not renewed in season 2 after promising title challenge and delivering 5th.

Main problems are:

a) There is no consideration of difficult starts/fixtures.

b) There isn't enough recognition of the MASSIVE achievement of breaking into the top 4 in the EPL. Anyone who does this is going to have more job security than 12 games in season 2.

c) There is no consideration of "transfer coups" - both managers got CL with Villa/Everton running AT A NET PROFIT from transfers.

Two specific cases from multiplay that seem just not right to me:

1) Everton manager takes them to 2nd in their first season, QF of Euro League, QF FA Cup, 4th Round LC.

12 Games into the second season, he is sacked. He gave "title challenge" and started with the top 4 all away and then with low morale had to play other human managers. Was 13th after 12 games and was sacked.

My question is: How is it possible for a manager who takes Everton to 2nd in season 1 and qualifies from his CL group to have such poor job security?

2) Aston Villa manager takes them to 4th place and CL in season 1, contract not renewed in season 2 after promising title challenge and delivering 5th.

Main problems are:

a) There is no consideration of difficult starts/fixtures.

b) There isn't enough recognition of the MASSIVE achievement of breaking into the top 4 in the EPL. Anyone who does this is going to have more job security than 12 games in season 2.

c) There is no consideration of "transfer coups" - both managers got CL with Villa/Everton running AT A NET PROFIT from transfers.

I understand your points, but to be fair, promising a title challenge with a team outside the top four in only the second season was quite a risk.

I understand your points, but to be fair, promising a title challenge with a team outside the top four in only the second season was quite a risk.

Yeah but it seems to alter the expectations of EVERYBODY. The Fans, players and board.

This is a private agreement with the board, it sucks to go away to arsenal and lose 3-2 and come back to "disappointed" fans, board and players. Your achievements should be rated more on what the club is expected to do, not what you say you can do, and players you've signed etc should be taken more into consideration.

For example: I've signed: Jovetic, Vargas, Gourcuff, Van Der Vaart, Cardozo, Papastathopoulos, Otamendi, Di Maria and many more... and they're "abhorred" at my sale of Carew. bizarre!

Definitely still needs some work. For example, I'm managing Sheffield Wednesday, who I took over in October, by which point they were already knocked out of the League Cup. A few months later the board said they were disappointed with my team's performance in the competition. :confused:

I've also taken the team from bottom of the table, 9pts behind the team in 23rd, to a 10th place finish. Now, I'd consider that a pretty remarkable performance and yet the board are only 'satisfied' with my performance.

Archived