Transfer Approach

Hog

I never usually use things like enquiries but I have one exception at the moment, I signed Carlos Vela while managing Celtic and then got the Bayern Munich job. I knew that Vela was unhappy at Celtic and wanted to move to a bigger club so since taking the Bayyern job I've been bombarding Vela with praise and Celtic with enquiries at every opportunity to try and convince him to refuse all attempts by Celtic to get him on a new contract and hopefully enable me to sign him on a free.

I very rarely use enquiries at all. When I do they often just get flat out refused and end up being a waste of time. I also don't pay much attention to any valuation the scout places on the player. I usually just take the players value as a starting point, and add on an amount based on that. If they reject it and I really want the player, I will keep taking my offer up until they eventually accept it. Even if it takes me 5-6 bids to find it.

For example if a player has a value of £5m, I might start with a bid of around £7m-7.5m, and be very reluctant to go anywhere above £10m for him unless he is extremely good. If he is valued at £15m I might start with a £20m-25m bid. Or if he is £1m I will start at £1.5m. Usually doesn't take very long to get an offer accepted. They will often try and negotiate to a higher price. But I can usually get them for less than that (a lot less in some cases).

Archived