Euro Qualification Bug

My brother's managing Bristol City and in Season 6 was playing in the Premiership. He finished 9th, and lost on penalties to 2nd placed Chelsea in the FA Cup Final. The League Cup final was between 2 teams who finished in the Top 4.

We therefore expected him to get the FA Cup's allocated UEFA Cup slot, which passes to the runners-up if the winners qualify for the CL (see Millwall a couple of years ago). Instead, FMH gave it to the next team down in the League, so all 3 UEFA places were allocated on League position and he had to settle for England's 2nd place in the Inter-Toto Cup, entering in the 2nd round.

My brother's managing Bristol City and in Season 6 was playing in the Premiership. He finished 9th, and lost on penalties to 2nd placed Chelsea in the FA Cup Final. The League Cup final was between 2 teams who finished in the Top 4.

We therefore expected him to get the FA Cup's allocated UEFA Cup slot, which passes to the runners-up if the winners qualify for the CL (see Millwall a couple of years ago). Instead, FMH gave it to the next team down in the League, so all 3 UEFA places were allocated on League position and he had to settle for England's 2nd place in the Inter-Toto Cup, entering in the 2nd round.

• SI Staff

The rules of this have changed recently if I remember right so this is how it works now (ie. its not a bug).

I will double check the research doc at some point today but I'm 90% certain this correct.

I know with the League Cup only the winners can have the place, it then goes to the League, but I thought the FA Cup was still offered to the runners-up.

I think this answers the Qestion Marc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4834364.stm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">UEFA CUP: Manchester United have a place after winning the Carling Cup but do not need it, so that passes to a team finishing high enough in the Premiership. Fifth and sixth-placed teams in the Premiership should get one, plus the winner of the Middlesbrough-West Ham FA Cup semi-final will qualify, as the other team in the Cup final will have a Champions League place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

• SI Staff

Will get Richard to double check the code and our research documentation then (as I indicated above 'tis hard for me to remember all the various minor rules for the competitions in the game - not least because Brighton never get anywhere near European competition irl icon_wink.gif ).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

Will get Richard to double check the code and our research documentation then (as I indicated above 'tis hard for me to remember all the various minor rules for the competitions in the game - not least because Brighton never get anywhere near European competition irl icon_wink.gif ). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, if Brighton made a Cup Final you'd suddenly become an expert, right icon_wink.gif

Archived