tottenham hotspur SOMS

Shock news has arrived from White Hart Lane today that Tottenham Hotspur has parted company with manager Harry Redknapp after a dispute between him and Daniel levy. Tottenham can confirm this and say that a new manager will be brought in the next few days. This will be Tottenham’s fifth manager in the space of 5 years.

Tottenham have appointed Karl Marshall as their new manager the club announced today. This comes as a shock to the footballing world as he has no experience managing a team let alone a premiership side! The fans see this as the downfall of their team after such great strides that Harry Redknapp was making and surely this success can’t be matched..

On my first day in charge of Tottenham the assistant manager put together a report on the side. I was surprised to see that the feedback I got was that our weakest area of the team was in attack even with the 4 strikers that we had. Possible replacements that were identified were forlan, dzeko and tevez. Also I was expected to reach European qualification and was allocated 9.25 million to achieve this.

The team lacked depth and I thought a good way would be to bring some youngsters in who could not only aid the team in my top four bid but also help in the future when they become better players. The players that I signed were jose sosa(2.4m), Mohamed bangura(180k), felix kroos(725k), dimitris salpingidis(1.2m) and gonzalo pineda(2.5) who were all recommended highly by the scout. Kroos and bangura went straight out on loan to give them some first team action. Although I sold giovani dos santos to Bayern Munich for 3.1 million as I felt that he was surplus to requirements with the number of wingers I had. I thought that with these signings and the one departure this would be the side that I would take into the new season until out of the blue Barcelona made a bid of 14.25 million for vedran corluka. I thought that this was too good to refuse due to the number of defenders I had and let him go which meant I had good money left away for January if needs be.

Friendlies against LOSC and sevilla went well with me winning 2-1 against LOSC and drawing 1-1 with sevilla. Aaron lennon scored 1 in each game with kranjcar getting on the scoresheet in the other. This gave me as well as the fans hope for the new season.

The first game of the Barclays premiership season came with Burnley at home. This gave me a chance to get a real idea of the team. And it went a success with a 4-0 win! Goals coming from pavs, kranjcar and two from luka modric. This was a fantastic start to the campaign and put the fans at ease with my appointment.

The season started off well and we eased through the cup with a 4-1 win over MK dons with some of the youngsters getting a run out. Jose sosa got on the score sheet as well as Kyle naughton who was fantastic at right back. Robbie keane and peter crouch also made an appearance and both scored. The next round we scraped through against Fulham with a similar side set out but modric came off the bench to seal the victory. This gave the fans real hope of a trophy coming to white hart lane. The league was going well to with only one loss to a Liverpool side who were looking very strong and also an encouraging draw against arsenal. Although our league cup run came to an end when we faced Liverpool away in the fourth round. We were holding out for a draw until new signing steven defour came off the bench to seal the win in the 89th minute for the reds. This ended our cup run but enabled us to concentrate fully on the league.

Although injuries hit us hard and we lost king and woodgate which wasn’t much of a surprise as well as the two main forwards pavs and defoe. This led to a brief bad spell with a disappointing 1-0 defeat at home to Fulham then losing 1-0 away to Liverpool in the league once again. Although when people started to come back in to the team we got back on track and kept some momentum going into the new year!

Going into January and we were in a very encouraging position sat in third only 3 points behind Manchester united with arsenal second. Good draws against Manchester united and Chelsea and a fantastic win over moneybags Manchester city showed that we could hold our own against the big teams. Although we had the tightest defence in the league we weren’t scoring enough goals and our midfield wasn’t performing well enough. We didn’t really have a left winger who was working and neither Bentley or lennon were performing on the right. A striker was needed to also cover for injuries. This meant that people had to be brought in. There were no obvious buys but during January a few players were unsettled at their club which led the way for me. One of these was mikel arteta and although when enquired about everton were unprepared to sell, we settled for a deal of 6.5 million. Also joe cole was unsetlled and came in for the small fee of 625k. Coming to the end of January it wasn’t looking likely that we would be able to bring a stiker in until roque santa cruz was unhappy at Manchester city. I put a bid in of 5 million and city were willing to sell so this strengthened our forward line.

Our first game with the new signings was against stockport in the cup so this gave me a chance to play some youngsters but also the new boys. It payed off with a 2-0 win and goals coming from roque and joe cole. The only game we lost in the league in January was to Aston villa away which was disappointing but it’s a tough place to go and it left us 4 points behind Arsenal! The next cup tie was against leeds and once again I fielded a younger side as our next game was against arsenal in the league, but would regret this as leeds were to beat me 1-0! Also roque santa cruz missed a pen in the 86th minute which sent us crashing out of the competition and fans left unhappy!

The next game arsenal was the biggest of the campaign as if we won it, it would put us right back in the title race. The odds were against us as Tottenham haven’t won at arsenal since 1993 but I was determined to turn this around to keep our title hopes alive. The new signing mikel arteta bagged 2 goals either half which proved he was worth his pricetag of 6 million and put us in a great postion going into February only 1 point behind the leaders!

Injuries to roque and luka modric for a short period of time left us with a depleted squad and and playing at home to Liverpool is not what you want. We lost 1-0 which rounded off a treble for Liverpool against us but to rub salt in the wounds we also lost to wigan the next game which left us hanging in the title race by the thread of our teeth. With key players coming back in the side though our form picked up and we went on a 7 game unbeaten run with roque scoring 4 against wolves on his comeback from injury. This put us right back in with a shot at the title and left us only 1 point behind leaders Manchester united who were our next game. If we could win this then we would go top of the league with only 4 games to go! A full white hart lane was there to watch Tottenham go top of the league after the 2-0 win against united! Luka modric was back in the side and scored in both halfs to ensure a hard fought win against a strong united side!

After two hard grafted victories against wolves and everton, one nil each, this left us 4 points clear of the pack going into the penultimate game of the season as Manchester united lost to everton and drew with Chelsea.. These 4 points would be vital as our next game was Chelsea away but if we could get a win then the title would be going to Tottenham for the first time in the clubs history. This was also a massive game for Chelsea who were sat in fifth and needed to win to keep their hopes of champions league football alive. The game started with Chelsea battering us until on the 13th minute essien went in with a clumsy challenge and earned himself a red card! This left Chelsea without there key holding midfield player and gave Tottenham a chance to attack. Corner after corner came for Tottenham until GOAL Ledley king scored a fantastic header which sent us in 1-0 up at half time. Later in the game john terry and Paulo Ferreira got injured which left Chelsea with little ideas and allowed Tottenham to not only win the game but the title. Ledley king scoring the goal that won Tottenham the title and it couldn’t have gone to a better man after all the troubles he’s been through in his career with injuries.

All that was left now was for us to pick up the trophy against Aston Villa at home. The result didn’t matter as the team would be picking up the Barclays premier league trophy come the end of the ninety minutes. The game finished nil nil but the fans were ecstatic when ledley lifted the trophy. Karl marshall the unknown manager has brought success to Tottenham in one season and im sure Daniel levy will have an “I told you so approach” secretly as he appointed karl marshall last year. The fans shown their support for the new found hero by chanting his name throughout the stands! The board were also delighted at how the team had over achieved so much!

From this fantastic season karl marshall was rewarded the runner up for the manager of the year award finishing second to arsene wenger. This was a slight downer as arsenal only finished second yet their bitter rivals manager claimed the award. Liverpool and arsenal players also came away with the player and young player of the year awards.

What a fantastic first season for karl marshall and his Tottenham side after bringing the title to white hart lane. This was a massive overachievement as they were only hoping to secure European qualification!

Here are some stats from the season:

Top goalscorer: L.modric

Most assists: L.modric

Highest average rating: P. Crouch ( only played a few games)

Most man of the match: L.modric

Most bookings: W.palacios

Most appearances: Gomes

The team stats were:

Played: 43

Won:25

Drawn:11

Lost:7

Scored: 61

Conceded: 19

Players bought: 19.25

Players sold: 17.25