My FM2010 Moan Thread

I'm a person who watches all my games on full mode as I like to see what's going on the pitch. Watching players performances under my tactics is the most important and enjoyable thing for me in this game.

Now I understand that making a ME which would resemble real life football is impossible task, and I do apriciate SI's hard work. But I always come to the point where I can't watch my games anymore. It's a thing that keeps repeating to me, year after year when playing FM.

This year's ME is the best one up to now, just like last year's was better than the one before. But also there are so many things in ME that weren't fixed and keep repeating in every version. There are many things that annoy but there's nothing worse than when I see that same bugs or flaws are still present from FM2006 for example. These are the issues I have with the game, most of them are things that still haven't been fixed, eventhough they are obvious flaws and we've been crying for years to be fixed:

Long shots. I'm not talking about long shots that go in yet, just long shot attempts. It's bordering to science fiction how many LS attempts is average MC, AMC or ST able to take in one match. I've seen so many times in my games and AI vs AI as well, that AMC had more than 10 LS attempts. on the other hand an average winger (especially right footed playing on right side or vice versa) would need half a season to achieve that many shots. It's just unbelievable how fast, from which angles, with strange body position, with a couple of players marking them instructed to show onto their weaker foot and always closing them down, blablabla,... these players are still able to shoot from distance more than Barca has total shots sometimes. Remember that FM game is played for some 50 to 60 minutes, I don't even want to imagine how many shots there would be, if it was played for 90 min like real game. I don't know I guess passing instead of shooting is hard to code..

The general feeling of a game. Very much related to above, sometimes when I watch one game it feels more like pinball than football. Players are able to pass the ball without opponets tackling them, nicking the ball, intecepting the ball in the middle, no fighting.. it feels like that in every attack there's a good chance of scoring. there are too many chances, too many long shots, too many goals, too many corners...where's the defence, where's midfield battle, where are poor passes, where are 0-0's, 1-0's.... just shoot, shoot, shoot!!!

Off-sides. This must be hard to make right, but they're so annoying, I can't watch my games anymore. player with 17 in creativity and decision is passing into most obvious off-side position, players not moving awey from OS position, OSs from goal-out positions,... the time when players are not shooting they're in off-side position, I guess.

Clearances. Why do players clear the ball if their opponents are 30 yards awey? Why can't a world class full back with PPM Tries to play way out of trouble, try to control the ball from time to time. Why isn't he able to control the ball in situation when we play really attacking and need to score? Isn't that about taking more risk (Att Mentality)? Come on SI you can do better. I know this is not the most important thing in ME but little things make something good or bad.

There are so many little and big things more about this ME which I could be talking about. And I will probably..

Rant over

to back up what I was talking about long shots with some stats, Lampard was leading player with total shots (110) in PL last season. it's 3,05 shots/game. in my FM save he attempted 179 shots in 35 games (5,1 per game). and he wasn't the leading player in that section.

last year only him and Ronaldo tried more than 100 shots. in my FM save at least 9 players had more than 100 shots in season.

I'd add to the sentiments about offsides. Never really were done right. I remember in 97/98 where the only mentions of offside were with certain disallowed goals, which came completely at random, going like this:

"GOAL FOR X!!!"

"But it's been disallowed!"

"The referee spotted something", "The flag was up (or sth, don't remember the wording", or other reasons.

These disallowed goals came completely at random with seemingly random reasons. Thats why it ****ed me off to no end when i got the following messages:

"Player hits the corner bla bla"

"Straight on the head of Player!"

"GOAL FOR X!!!"

"But it's been disallowed!"

"For offside!"

Which is fun - because that there, that's theoretically impossible.

A digression though, but what does bother me with the ME this year is how the offside is blown even if one player, who has nothing to do with any pass, at all, and has just strayed for no reason, in the offside position, on the right wing. My DC hits a long pass to the left wing. Offside is immediately called because the player on the right wing, with no chance of reaching the ball, was off.

Clearances are also completely bonkers. Some throw-ins are also complete tragedies if you're not very meticulous about instructing them. If you have no instructions on throw-ins set at all, they're a comedy show to watch.

I've also seen my advanced playmaker AMC hit backpasses to my keeper. Yesterday, my right back advanced 65 yards, well into the opposition area. He saw no passes, so he played a 65 yard backpass to my keeper. Who missed the ball, making it a sensational own goal. And you can't blame that on the players' quality - said right back was Marco Motta, goalkeeper Sebastien Frey. It might of course be blamed on tactics i've set and Motta's mentality, but seriously, for a player to make that kind of decision, ever, in the history of football, is a rare find.

it must be hard to implement passive offside rule, that's why I didn't even mention it. if the regular offside is giving them such a headache.... but you're right it's annoying.

I saw similiar Gk situation in 09, where my keeper got lobbed by other keeper or centre back. I could live with such flaws if they were rare and if ME was more solid in general. but then usually I start to observe only bugs and flaws in games. in part it's my fault.

Archived