Mental Attributes ( Work Rate, Determanation, Concentration )

Just a post to ask a quick question, as a manager in fm i always like my teams to be first and foremost hard working and determined, i also look for players with good concentation levels and like them to be brave and aggresive in particular the defenders, ball winning midfielder and the target man ! if a player has a low work rate or determination level i would probs decide against singin them, world class or not i try to buy players who fit this croteria.....what are your views on this ? Does any one else do this and does anyone think that having players with high work rate etc etc is better than a lazy lacidazical att midfielder who shys away from the tackle ?

i think its important to get the right attributes. Low stats means nowt isnt it.

I usauall compare 2 good players from my squad and note what they have in common, i also think about my preferences also as well as whats good for the postion they are in. Then i do a quick edit filter, search. Then choose from the updated info.

I have found out abit by typing on a search engine. FM help advice tips along them lines and have picked up some good things like this which i did before i got into this game.

High workrate is good though i think there might be some high value players that dont necessarily have the best work rate say even above 15 make that 14 ;). Value also is something i look at when signing someone and contract expiry as if it 5 years away. Will cost a bomb.

In earlier incarnations of FM certain attributes were disproportionately important. I think now there is a sensible balance so that you can't say one attribute such as pace or determination guarantees success or failure.

Take work rate for instance: if you have players with high work-rate around you like Rooney, Fletcher and Anderson, Berbatov with his flair and other technical skills can get away with low work-rate (in his manager's eyes).

Obviously high attributes in everything is better but those players don't exist - in the real world as in FM you have to decide on priorities and which balance of attributes contributes best to your team and its tactics.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah i usually loosen my criteria with the wingers and mabye the pacey skillful striker, its intresting to hear other peoples views, also do you think an average player with the right attributes for your team could excel and play above himself ? Or would he be exposed to often...

I prefer to have the backbone of my side with high mental attributes; my centre backs and defensive midfielders. I'm more lenient when signing poachers, wingers, playmakers and fullbacks.

To each their own i suppose, though I like your idea of only signing hard working players.

i think these abilities are the key reason for succses. In lower divisions its not so important technical atributes. You need mental and physical, at highest level u need all, but i always prefer mental when i am signing a world class player...when u dont have problems with your tactic...;)

Bodis cheers ! I am pretty much the same, except i like my full backs to have good mental attributes...do yous reckon a player with say a p.a...high mental attributes and decent technical could be a consisent say full back in a top 4 team..for example player a with crossing 17 tackling 15 pace acc 15 positioning 16 but with determanation 10 and work rate aggression and bravery of 11 and under...or player b with tackling 15 crossing 14 acc and pace 12 but with high determanation and work rate etc would yous still go for the more flamboyant full back or the honest hard worker, could the honest hard worker mabye play above himself

Archived