Help - Joining a network game

Hi Folks,

Firstley, i'm knew to this so if i'am in the wrong room or anything don't shout :o

Am on my laptop (windows vista) and just can't get a game going with my mate when am at my house..

I went round to his tonight and used his connection and everything went fine - got the game going and everything. I got home though and now when he types in my IP address to join the game it just keeps poping up 'error - can't connect to server' :mad:

Now he's quite good with computers and things and am just not and he even can't work out whats up with it..

Any ideas people?

Thanks,

Seano

I believe the problem is that your friend hasn't opened up his ports on his router to outside connection. This means the router sees you trying to connect, isn't sure that you're not a hacker or some kind of malicious software being sent to his computer, and prevents you connecting. You could get him to open his ports, but as aussie has said above, the easier solution is for you both to download hamachi. One person then makes a server (it's really easy, just look through the settings and you'll find it quickly enough) and the other person can then connect to them. Hamachi tells the routers that everyone on the Hamachi server (you and your friend, in this case) are actually on the same local network, and the router is tricked into letting connections through.

Archived